Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling outside Canada

Stefutz
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

I plan to leave Canada for several months and not sure how to deal with the 2FAs, what solution there is.

If I downgrade my (prepaid) plan to the minimal amount, I leave it at home and forward it to a VoIP number fongo, etc)?

Would that work?

Also, how would the forwarded calls be counted? The minutes/sms etc..

Or would there be another solution?

For how long can I suspend the phone number, and is there any cost associated with it?

Thanks for any idea!

1 REPLY 1

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Stefutz,

Prepaid accounts do not qualify for temporary suspension and Fido Roam.

However, if you do use it outside of the country you will be charged on a pay-per-use basis, see here for the rates for the specific country you will be going to. 

Since you can not temporarily suspend the line and because it's a prepaid account you can simply stop paying the fee for the time you will be away but you should note prepaid accounts are automatically canceled if the line is inactive for more than 365 consecutive days.

While you should be able to forward calls you can not forward text messages and all forward calls will be deducted from your allotted set of minutes.

Since you have a VoIP number I would suggest you add it to all your accounts that use a phone number for 2FA and you will have to option to choose which number you want to receive it on but from experience, not all 2FA comes through on Fongo.