cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of Responsibility, but keep number?

achaudhary
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi,

I think I know the answer: no. But wanted to see if I was wrong.

I'm on a 3-year Fido agreement, which a friend (who is month-to-month on Fido) has agreed to assume. I want out because work is willing to provide me with a work phone that will meet my needs. My work will also port my current number if I ask them to.

However, it seems you can't transfer *only* the agreement term to another Fido account - I have to transfer the entire account, including the number. If I port my number to my work carrier before the transfer to my friend, my account will close - and I will have to pay the ECF. If I don't port the number, I lose the ability to port it once it becomes my friend's number (and he may want to port his current number in anyways).

Anything I'm missing? It appears that in order to transfer the agreement to my friend, I must give up my current number.

5 REPLIES 5

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Not allowed as per company policy.

achaudhary
But do you know - would my friend, who is in another calling area / area code, would he be able to port his number in? Or do we both have to give up our numbers?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

I think you both have to give up your numbers. As you mentioned, when he takes you account, he takes your number. When you take his, you end up with his number. Once you both have your 'new' number you can both request a new number in the correct area code. There may be a charge for this (maybe not in the case of a different area code). 

What the policy is meant to prevent is swapping two numbers. You can always get a new number.

sweetone
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I've watched enough Judge Judy episodes to say "don't do it".

If someone doesn't pay their bill, Fido will just chase, harass, bill each of you until one pays.

achaudhary
Thanks for confirming. I may still do it but have to see how much pain a new number would be.