cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To change phone number or not to?

Saree29
I'm a participant level 3

I'm moving from the Fraser valley to northern bc and I'm wondering if I should change my phone number or keep the one I have.  I've heard conflicting thoughts on this.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Saree29,

Welcome to the community!

There are two main aspects to consider. The first depends on the details of your plan -- whether you have local, Province-, or Canada-wide calling included. For example, if you have a plan which only includes local calls, you're probably best to change your number because every incoming call would be considered long-distance (LD) since your incoming local calling area would still be in the Fraser Valley.

On the other hand, if your plan includes Province-wide or Canada-wide calling, the local calling areas wouldn't be a factor following your move.

The other consideration to keep in mind are the people calling your phone. If you keep your number, everyone in Northern BC will have to call a long-distance number to reach you. Given that many people now have Canada-wide calling, it may not be as much of an issue. However, there are still some instances where you might need a local number. For instance, my building's buzzer system cannot dial a LD number. In addition, some businesses also will not dial a LD number.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Saree29

Thanks for the reply! I wish there was a way to know what percentage of people I would talk to would be affected by me keeping my old number.  Do most people keep their old numbers in these situations or do they just change them?

Hey @Saree29

I'd say it depends on your situation , will you be returning to Fraser Valley? 

Saree29

No, I don't think we will be moving back here.

I think a number change would be a good idea as you will be providing your number to local businesses / people and not everyone has Canada-Wide call features ! 

What's making you doubt @Saree29

Saree29

Probably just the fact that I've had my number for so many years - it would be a lot of work to let everyone know about my number change.  Maybe my doubting is laziness 😉  thanks for your input on this!

You're welcome!

I think we've all been there. Smiley It can be hard to lose a phone number you've had for so long!