cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This message looks very suspicious, Fido, is this from you?

Focuscope
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

some one with this number (647)200-2924, sent SMS to my number:

"Fido Solutions👋:. Your monthly bill was overcharged in 2023, and Fido is offering a $45(CAD) compensation via email money transfer for the new year.Please proceed to: :backhand_index_pointing_right: fidosolutions03.com"

I clicked, be redirected to https://fidosolutions03.com/deposit/bmo/ah84d03kds3d0z83zml
Web page shows this:
"Fido trademarked logo

FR DEPOSIT YOUR REFUND

Accept before: expire in 72 hours
As a reminder, we'll email you 3 days before.
Accept online at anytime.
Interac e-Transfer

Is this a fraud?!

fidosolutions3.com domain name registration locates in Riga, city and capital of Latvia
if I keyin my banking userid/pin, this weerd domain service might hack my bank acct.

Fido, please reply!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Focuscope,

Welcome to the community!

You're right to be suspicious! That message is most definitely a SCAM and/or SPAM. Thanks for flagging it! As mentioned here, you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter (see here). Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

I understand forwarding those messages does not include phone number. However, it is unlikely the owner of the phone number is sending the messages. The scammers/spammers often use spoofed phone numbers when sending those messages and making SCAM and/or SPAM calls (see here).

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. As far as I am aware, many of their promotions come from 4745 or 4735 (see here and here). Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Another sign is Fido's recent adoption of the a URL shortening service. I believe it's Bit.ly (see here). As far as I am aware, the links would be for the Fido.ca domain

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers