cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telemarketers?

thatpianochick
I'm a participant level 1

I'm not sure that these numbers are telemarketers as such, they may very well be fido reps calling to promote some deal, but I'm growing very tired of it.

08/31: 1-954-990-0818 (10:19am)

08/31: 1-954-990-0818 (5:19pm)

08/31: 1-207-493-2008 (6:13pm)

09/01: 1-954-990-0818 (11:45am)

09/02: 1-954-998-0818 (3:37pm)

09/07: 1-207-493-2008 (5:39pm)

09/08: 1-207-493-2008 (1:46pm)

09/13: 1-207-493-2620 (3:05pm)

09/26: 1-210-280-8487 (1:52pm)

09/26: 1-877-622-2662 (3:13pm)

09/28: 1-877-622-2662 (2:09pm)

09/29: 1-877-622-2662 (4:33pm)

My contract is up for renewal, but rather than calling me to let me know about deals (which I already receive emails and text messages promoting), you could perhaps assume I'm not entirely sure whether I'd like to renew my contract at all. I figured after the first 10 calls you might make a note of it.

11 REPLIES 11

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey dramafille.

I can assure you that the calls that you are receiving are not from us. Have you listened to the voice messages that they leave you? They will likely identify themselves in the message. If they don't answer when you call back the original number then you may be able to use that information to find alternate contact information for them. 

Also, keep in mind that, while we don't have a way to block incoming calls from specific callers, most phones now will have an option to block certain numbers from calling you under the call settings. You can check your user manual to confirm if this feature is available for your phone. 

Hope this helps! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but bad guys exist out there who break the local laws and still telemarket call you regardless if your on the DNCL List and they typically dont care that your upset about getting unwanted calls.  its an issue but its not something fido has control to stop as it impacts every phone company in canada and usa too. We need to put more pressure on the governments to stop it.

Sometimes these ppl will disguise their number or even call u froM your number or other ppls number unknowingly so calling the number back may not work.

yukichan
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

DNCL doesn't work. i've been getting those "free vacation" calls for the last few months. i just don't answer them. there's nothing fido can do as they spoofed the numbers.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Meanwhile, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center says:

-------------------------------------

Canada's Anti Fraud Centre said victims of phone spoofing should immediately call their phone company when they realize what is happening.

"Your telephone or internet service provider may have the ability to determine the true IP address or telephone number but they must be informed quickly before this information is overwritten on their database," Canada's Anti Fraud Centre explains on its website.

-------------------------------------

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/phone-spoofing-scammers-disguise-as-local-callers-1.2568360

So basically, if your carrier is unable/unwilling to do anything about it, suck it up. Last words said in the meeting where phone spoofing was approved: "What could possibly go wrong?"

Anonymous
Not applicable

What exactly can fido do to protect us? I am getting a lot of calls and text msgs from people claiming I called them, when infact telemarketers are spoofing their number and disguising it as my number so people think its me calling them and are calling me back.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@Anonymous wrote:

What exactly can fido do to protect us? I am getting a lot of calls and text msgs from people claiming I called them, when infact telemarketers are spoofing their number and disguising it as my number so people think its me calling them and are calling me back.

The article talks about the other way around: if I get a call from a scammer/telemarketer, I should be calling Fido because their logs will show the actual real number of the caller.

Unfortunately, what you're describing appears to me to be hopeless. Number spoofing should simply not be possible; the listed "good" reasons in the article linked are dubious at best.

Thanks for the link zyx.

I'll see what I can find on our side about this. 

Fido7476
They call unknown

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Fido 7476,

Thanks for joining the Community!

A call from an unknown / blocked number would not be from Fido. If it is a telemarketing company, then we would suggest registering your phone number(s) to the National DNCL, as nick67 had suggested (@ nick67 thanks for the tips by the way!).

dramafille

I keep getting calls from various 416-829-xxxx. Practically every day and they are all phishing scams and these are all FIDO phone numbers. I think Fido is putting out calls just to eat up my minutes. I don't answer, but I have to use my minutes to clear the half a message that is left. When I emailed to inquire, I was told that I can sign up for the do not call registry - which I am already on, or I can change my number. I shouldn't have to do that when the numbers are all coming from FIDO callers. And if you call the numbers back, it's just a generic voice mailbox telling you the number that you reached. Very frustrating. 

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

If they are indeed telemarketing calls from Fido, you can request to be removed from their "call list". If they're just regular telemarketers, e.g. you've won a free vacation, you can use the National Do Not Call List. It has been an effective for me; I receive no telemarketing calls. Link: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng