I'm a participant level 3

8FE705A0-B67E-4B89-A990-F2FD92C04136.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Shellysarkar,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls. However, most of them tend to show from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here and here). Reporting those phone numbers do not lead back to the spammers/scammers. Any filter would block innocent customers from accessing their services, not the spammers/scammers.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). While there have been some delays as to its implementation, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

shellysarkar

Thank you for giving me more contact information for these calls. I get them so often and at certain times which seems almost coincidental to the point of paranoia. It's sad unexpecting people don't know their numbers are being misused. I've called back numbers of people who haven't called me. I just need to tell these guys to stop. And I need to pick up all calls. I got a call from British Columbia today that was actually from Mississauga. An employment agency I needed to talk to. Their head office is in BC, but they don't know why that number shows up sometimes.  If you look at my phone records you can see how often I get these calls. I get calls from spammers, that a package is waiting for me at the border and I constantly get messages that legal action will be taken against me. The police are coming. Since nothing can be done, I'm requesting more voicemail messages. Right now I'm at 3 and 3 isn't enough if spammers can go to voicemail. I'm going to see if I can use the contact numbers given for our landline with Bell as well. I actually quit Fido in July I think to use my flip phone with Chatrr to get a break from the spam. I did this when I was with bell as well. It's just telling these guys no and to stop it. 

Hello again,

If you would like additional voicemail messages, Fido does offer a Premium voicemail service (see here). While not shown, I believe a standalone Premium voicemail add-on is available through request to customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

shellysarkar
Click here
I think you guys owe me for the upgraded voicemail since I'm doing all the work for the spam. Providing you guys with information which will help your clientele and future related problems. 

shellysarkar

Also why doesn't your phones pick up public wifi? Thank you for the extra 5 hours. That's amazing. But without the public wifi, go through 10 gigs quickly per month  

shellysarkar

Need some time to read through this. Thanks for the deal. I was with bell from 2009 and switched to Fido in March I think to get a cheaper rate because I had paid off my phone. I received 3-4 days of constant spam calls with you guys that rose my anxiety so much. Thank you for the lower rate. I've called back serveral of the numbers and have gotten, this "number is not in service" or the phone hangs up. Or I get told to press 1 or 2 for further information and I don't. I hang up. I was told by your Twitter customer service and a nice person on here the text number to call for spam numbers. Will look into your links 

Hello again,

You should note that returning those calls might incur additional charges. For example, calling the phone number shown in your image would be considered long-distance. In addition, replying to automated responses could also incur additional charges. Personally, if I don't recognise a phone number, I will not answer the call nor return any calls unless they are deemed valid. If they are legitimate callers, they will leave a message. If I don't receive a legit message, I will immediately delete the phone number.

While there is a venue for reporting SPAM text messages (see here), it would not be the same process for reporting phone numbers. As alluded to above, reporting these numbers would possibly affect innocent people rather than the spammers/scammers. However, if you wished to report the phone numbers, you could inform the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @shellysarkar , that indeed is a spam number. You can forward it to Fido Spam by selecting the message with a long hold touch and then using the menu at the top right, the 3 dots, select forward and send it to 7726 by text. That's all you need to do and they will take it from there. Thank you for bringing it to the attention of the community