cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So is Fido 3g or 4g LTE?

CFRH
I'm a participant level 3

Am considering upgrading my currect Fido plan and when I looked at the full details I noticed this nugget. Is this a mistake or would I be getting a throttled speed or something?  I understand that maybe in a less serviced area there "could be" some legacy 3g service but Toronto and surrounding areas?  For the record, my current Fido phone displays LTE as the service.

"9. This plan includes data at 3G speed with download and upload speeds of up to 3 Mbps. On the Fido network or in an Extended Coverage area."

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello CFRH,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I am aware, that particular detail only applies to the plans with the 9 footnote. I think it applies to the Basic plan types only:

Plans.jpg

~taken from here.

I don't think the Data, Talk, & Text plans have that same footnote so those plans would have access to full LTE speeds when coverage is available.

If you choose a Basic plan, then your data speeds would be limited to 3G. On the other hand, if you choose a Data, Talk, & Text plan, you should have access to LTE speeds (coverage pending).

**edit** Depending on whether your phone is supported for voice-over-LTE (voLTE), your phone may need to fall-back to the '3G' networks for calls. In addition, I believe devices with Basic plans might still connect to the LTE network but have their data limited to 3G speeds**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

CFRH

Thanks Cawtau.  The footnote in question is for Data, Talk & Text plans.  Using the mobile app, navigate to the Usage tab.  From there, click on Plan at the top.  Scroll down to "Check out our plans" and click on View Details.  A popup tells you that you are "Leaving MyAccount App".  It takes you to "Build your plan".  Click on "Change Plan".  Choose your plan type, "Data, Talk & Text".  Click Continue.  Scroll down and click on "See full details".  Scroll down and you will see the #9 footnote.

*Edit:  you can skip the mobile app and just go to Fido.ca in your browser.  Go to Plans.  You can either elect to View Plans or View Phones.  Step through either scenario and you will arrive at the same footnote #9.  Surely I'm not the first one ever to read the fine print?  Why did they bury this footnote at the end so you have to scroll down to see it?  Fido....please tell me this is a mistake and you have not been throttling our data to 3G speeds all along?

Hello again,

I understand the footnote is also shown in the Full Details section accessible with the Data, Talk, & Text plans as well. However, none of the Plan Features or Plan Benefits in that section reference that particular footnote (9). I believe they just have a single Full Details section for all of the different plan types. The applicable footnotes would be referenced in the Plan Features or Plan Benefits.

**edit** Another example of the using a single Full Details section would be footnote 4 also shown with the Basic plans. That footnote relates to Data Overage Protection, however, that feature is not available with Basic plans.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

CFRH

Thanks again Cawtau.  I'll take your word for it.  Confusing and concerning way to provide information and make a sale.  I was all set to upgrade my plan when this footnote stopped me dead in my tracks.  Made it seem like my upgrade in data would come with a downgrade in speed!