cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sms abroad

SimonRe
I'm a participant level 3

How do I see my sms when traveling outside of Canada? 

8 REPLIES 8

SimonRe

Thanks, I'm currently on airplane mode and WiFi and disabled data, the minute I remove airplane mode I get emails that I'm roaming, I just want to see my sms. 

Hello again,

As previously mentioned, in order to receive SMS, you would have to somehow connect to the networks. You might consider disabling any automatic email syncs to prevent you receiving those notifications when you disable Airplane mode. You might also consider disabling any other phone or app syncs as well.

Are you sure the notifications you received are emails? If your data is disabled, you phone shouldn't be receiving email notifications when you disable Airplane mode. Is it possible those notifications are SMS? Generally, you should receive a SMS notifying you of your device connecting to a foreign network. However, merely receiving that notification doesn't necessarily mean that you've incurred roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SimonRe

The email I got was to say welcome to roaming, and plan options the minute I removed the airplane mode. I also saw a little R and bars. I'm afraid I'll get charged for roaming. That's why I keep airplane mode and WiFi only. Are u saying if I remove airplane mode and data and keep WiFi I'll get sms and not get charged roaming? 

Hello again,

@SimonRe wrote:.... Are u saying if I remove airplane mode and data and keep WiFi I'll get sms and not get charged roaming? 

If you disable Airplane or Flight mode and your phone does not use data (and you don't use any other services) you shouldn't get charged for roaming. When you previously disabled Airplane mode, were you still connected to Wifi? If so, that could account for why you could still receive email messages.

However, whether or not your phone uses data despite any data settings being disabled would depend on your phone. As mentioned previously, some manufacturers might allow System data usage even though data settings are disabled.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SimonRe

Thanks, I'll check. I'm not in a hurry, I thought there was a way or an app to check my sms. 

Hi @SimonRe , you can see your sms while traveling abroad if you leave your phone on. If you are going to use the daily fido roam which has a daily fee, just turn on your phone as usual and use your phone, sms and data for a single fee. If you don't want to roam at all, you can turn on your phone but turn off data and just view your incoming texts. As long as you don't reply to them or answer your phone, you won't be charged for roaming. 

SimonRe

Hello, I disabled my data, I'm on WiFi and airplane mode to avoid roaming and I don't get my sms. What can I do to see them free of charge? 

Hello SimonRe,

Welcome to the community!

In order to receive SMS, your phone would need to somehow connect to the mobile networks. You would need to disable Airplane or Fight mode on your device. You should note that only usage (ie making or receiving calls, sending messages and using data) would trigger a Fido Roam charge. That is, receiving SMS would not incur any roaming charges. However, you also should note that any data within a MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You might consider disabling any auto-retrieve settings for MMS. You would then receive a SMS notifying of the MMS message (no charge). You should further note that MMS does not generally transmit via Wifi. Downloading MMS, even while connected to Wifi, would transmit via the networks and therefore incur roaming charges.

What phone do you have? You should note that some phone manufacturers might not disable all data when that setting is disabled. They consider System data different from User data. Disabling Airplane or Flight mode might cause your device to inadvertently use System data and incur roaming charges.

Alternatively, is your phone supported for Wifi-calling? If so, had you set-up Wifi-calling on your phone? If your phone is connected via the gateway (see graphic here), you should be able to receive the SMS with Airplane or Flight mode enabled. You should note that certain Wifi-calling usage abroad is considered roaming and would be charged accordingly.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers