cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls with Fido Number

Denange
I'm a participant level 2

I just received a call showing Fido solutions number and when I answered it thinking it was from Fido a machine came on with a recording in another language.

Normally I have been blocking scam calls but I cannot block Fido.

Just wanted to report this call.

6 REPLIES 6

salimdi

Unfortunately, but you're not alone, as I just received the same type of call...

ryadav
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3

I get lot of scam calls, dont know why but there are few specific ones

- service canada calls originating with all numbers from FIDO (this new since COVID)

- Fido DHL China

- Fido China devision

Interesting the calls are spoofed with XXX-XXX-ABCD pattern. The X match your number while ABCD keep changing everytime they call. 

If the scam calls originate outside FIDO numbers, its not a problem but it appears to be primarily coming from FIDO numbers. Please investigate.

Hello Ryadav,

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. There isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

I understand it appears like they might be targeting Fido customers, however, none of the providers are immune to the SPAM calls everyone has been receiving. In fact, the problem is broader than solely a Canadian issue -- it's Worldwide (see here).

It's actually not that difficult for spammers/scammers to direct those calls to a particular provider. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain area code and prefix combinations are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). They'll likely change the message depending on the area code/prefix combination. There have been instances where people who have ported their phone numbers to other providers still receive SPAM directed at their original providers.

The spammers/scammers will tend to spoof phone numbers within their target range to make potential victims think the calls are coming from people they might know. Since your area code/prefix is for Fido (unless you ported from another provider), many of the calls will also appear to come from Fido phone numbers.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

si
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

I use my Fido prepaid phone line only for emergencies or very important calls, which is to say very rarely. 

Today, I was expecting an important call concerning maintenance service at my new apartment, I had to answer the phone when they'd call, and not let it go to the voicemail. 

Twice this morning I received calls from scammers posing as Revenue Canada, both times they spoofed Fido-looking numbers (514 993 ----). Because I had to answer the phone, and not knowing who it was, and expecting a very important call, I lost 15 cents for each of these answered scam-attempt calls. Eventually, I did receive the legitimate call for apartment maintenance service, but it bugs me that I have to pay for those two earlier scam calls.

I tried contacting Fido by phone, but wait times are eternal, and I tried messaging Fido customer service privately here and on Fido's Facebook page, but no answer. Very frustrating!  I've continued to receive other 514 993 ---- scam calls today, I have not answered the last ones, I don't want to be charged airtime.

Can Fido re-imburse me for those two calls received this morning? It's just 30 cents, I know, but it's 30 cents less now that I have in my account balance, and 30 cents closer to having to buy a refill. Thank you. 

Hey @si

We received your PM concerning this.

Talk talk to you soon.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Denange,

Unfortunately, no one is immune to the number spoofing, at this time there is no way to stop these calls.

The good news is that the carriers are working to implement new technology (STIR/SHAKEN) by September-2020 To combat these number spoofing and hopefully put an end to these types of calls.

You can read more about number spoofing here.