cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same day roaming - International and US

Cezary
I'm a participant level 2

If I already paid $12 international roaming charge and on the same day I'm using my phone when changing airplanes in US why am I being charge additional $ 7 ? It is like double deeping from Fido part. 

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Cezary,

Welcome to the community!

Fido Roam.jpg

~taken from here.

I understand you feel Fido are charging you twice for the same thing. However, they are actually separate. Mobile providers have to pay the foreign networks in order for their customers to roam on those networks. The International roaming charge would have paid for the roaming on the International networks where you travelled while the US roaming charge would have paid for the roaming on the US networks. If they didn't charge the second Fido Roam charge, the US networks would not have gotten paid for your roaming.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cezary

so if in the same day, I'm using phone in Mexico, Dominican Republic and Haiti whose network is not getting paid ?

Hello again,

In that case, I believe you'd actually get charged once for roaming in Mexico and again for roaming in the Caribbean (Dominican Republic and Haiti) since they are two different zones (see here).

Assume your previous situation: International and US. If you decided to opt-out of Fido Roam and use local SIMs, you would have to get two local SIMs because you're using two networks. One SIM pays International fees, the other SIM pays US fees. With Fido Roam, it's the same thing except you don't have to change SIMs. Fido still has to pay for your usage on International networks as well as US networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cezary

Thank you for your input Cawtau !

But that makes me wonder - why all Caribbean nations is treated as one and Mexico is separate. All of them have separated mobile providers/networks. 

Do you have a list of all zones so we know that changing them we'll encounter double same day charges ?

Hello again,

No worries!

I tried to edit my previous post with that information, but you might have responded before I got a chance to post the edited version. You can view the different zones here. If you're unsure of which zone your destination might be considered, you can enter the country in the Your next destination area and it will provide the rates.

I think the different zones just has to do with the roaming agreements...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers