cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

contactraj
I'm a participant level 2

Hello, I am using fido prepaid service. I recently moved out of Canada. I got an sms that roaming charges are $14 per day. But I need the fido number just to receive sms for online transactions. Is there a way I can set it up and is there a customer service email id where i can put this query. Thanks, Raj.

7 REPLIES 7

contactraj

Thanks for your response. Sorry I am in post-paid, hence received the sms that $14+tax per day.

So if i just receive sms and not make calls/use data then I don't need to pay roaming charges ? I just need to pay my monthly bill, is that right?

Hello again,

The Fido Roam charge will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad (from Fido Roam FAQ), so just receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge. However, as alluded to previously, the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

If you did not wish to use the Fido Roam feature, you might consider contacting customer service and request to opt-out of Fido Roam. After opting-out, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis as outlined on Fido's Travel page.

Yes, you would need to continue to pay your monthly bill as usual.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Contactraj,

Welcome to the community!

If your services from Fido are pre-paid, Fido Roam ($14 per day, depending on location) would not apply. Pre-paid plans can only roam on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the pre-paid roaming rates for your destination here.

You should note that receiving SMS would not incur roaming charges. You should also note that since roaming data is not available with pre-paid roaming services, sending or receiving MMS would not likely work.

Unfortunately, Fido does not have a customer service email so if you would like to contact them, you would need to contact customer service. They can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Amin1968
I'm a participant level 3

Hi

Amin1968

I very disappointed with Fido Roaming Servixe. They are automatically activated my Roaming Service without my concern. & they charges me $356 for 23 days. I am not satisfied with Fido Roaming . Whenever I called them they are not helping me. I requested to you all guys please be careful. I have very bad experience with Fido Roam.

Sidesicks
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

This x 100. The work arounds for NOT being charged are ridiculous, no one would ever do this without first contacting their support team. The system is designed to steal your money and they hide behind a terms of service that no one ever reads. 

Just don't sign up with Fido, period. This is the only mobile company I've ever worked with that has 0 desire to help when ridiculous charges are incurred through next to 0 usage. Pay an extra $5/m and sign up with a company that cares.

Hello Amin1968,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges. It's unfortunate you were unaware of how Fido Roam works. Fido Roam is enabled on eligible lines by default. You would have had to opt-out of the service if you did not wish to use it. However, opting out of Fido Roam would mean that your usage would have been on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the roaming rates here.

Roaming charges will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad. (see here). While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

That's why I often suggest to others to disable any MMS auto-retrieve settings on their phones. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

I understand you might not have been aware of your roaming usage. However, you should have received a Welcome message outlining the details when your phone first connected to the foreign network.

If you did not intend on using any of your Fido services, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight modes on your device for the duration of your time abroad. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. You should take note of how your phone's functionality works. There have been cases where disabling data and data roaming still allowed data usage. In addition, there have been cases where usage had occurred despite Airplane or Flight mode being enabled. In some of those instances, it was later found that the setting did not enable/disable without a restart.

While you might not have intended on your phone using services, if you've incurred roaming charges, unfortunately your phone had been connecting to the networks and using services without your knowledge.

That said, if you would still like to discuss your bill, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers