cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming is set to OFF on phone, but still got charged roaming??

wzfoto
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I have been using the same phone and same fido service for the past 2 years.  I had roaming set to 'Never' on my phone.  A month ago when I was in the US, I got charge roaming even though I never make/receive calls, never send/receive text, and never use data (unless I m connected to a wifi).  I thought I might have pressed the wrong button.  Recently I was in the US again, I received the standard 'roaming text' message, but next day I got an email saying roaming is enable, without my consents.  I am 100% sure roaming was not enabled because I was not able to refresh any app that requires a data connection.  I contacted fido customer support and went to a fido store to have roaming removed from my account but they said it is not possible?!  Is this the new way fido operate? By sneaking roaming charge without customer's consent?  Where/how do I escalate this problem to the appropriate party?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Wzfoto,

Are you still using the same Xiaomi phone from your earlier posts? Most newer phones do not have an option to disable roaming anymore. They only have the option to disable roaming data. Is that the setting you had set on your phone to 'Never'? You should note that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging.

While receiving SMS does not trigger a Fido Roam charge, the fact you received the Fido Roam Welcome message suggests that the 'Never' setting you selected does not in fact prevent roaming. Have you had a chance to view what services incurred the roaming charges via My Account? You should be able to view the details on your bill. Receiving that text message and/or email does not necessarily mean that you have already incurred the Fido Roam charge. It is usage which triggers the charge (making/receiving calls, sending text messages, using data; note the the data within MMS would be considered roaming data so receiving MMS would also trigger the charge).

I understand you did not intentionally use your services on your previous trip. Was your location setting set to high accuracy or something similar? Some devices regularly connect to the networks (and Wifi) to obtain location information. Depending on the device, some manufacturers appear to allow this data transfer despite disabling data and/or roaming data settings.

You might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trips. That setting should prevent the devices from connecting to the networks. You could then manually enable Wifi when required.

You should also note that Fido Roam is enabled automatically on eligible plans. There is no need to opt-in for the service. However, if you wish to opt-out of Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service to do so. You should also note that if you do choose to opt-out of Fido Roam, you would roam at pay-per-use rates (see here). If you do not wish to use any services when roaming, you might consider requesting a roaming block be placed on your line.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers