cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Registration

Karima69
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I received email that I have registered for roaming services which I have not. Phone is on airplane mode and am connected to internet provided by the facility. Why would Fido automatically send me notifications for charges that I do not use. 
Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Karima69,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that Fido Roam is already enabled on most post-paid plans. Fido Roam charge will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad (see here). Generally, that Welcome message is a notification that your device had connected to a foreign network. I understand your phone has Airplane mode enabled. Did you enable that setting before arriving at that destination? If not, it's possible your device connected to the local networks before you enabled Airplane mode. Receiving that message does not necessarily mean that your device had used services, though. I was able to confirm that merely receiving that message does not incur roaming fees (see here). 

Generally, merely connecting to Wifi would not involve a mobile provider. However, If you have a supported device and plan, Wifi-calling would require the mobile providers. There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling . I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

BobC83
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

By law, Fido must notify you when it detects that your phone is not on its network so that you don't get surprised with roaming charges. On WiFi, it's possible that a Fido service reports back to Canada and, when Fido sees that it's coming from a foreign IP address, notifies you.

You'll have to review the CRTC wireless code to determine whether and how you can opt out of being notified, but I strongly discourage it - and the complaints from customers here who got surprise roaming charges tacked onto their bills will back me up on this.