cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Data

gerardjchan
I'm a participant level 3

This is the second time I recieved uncalled roaming charges on my phone plan.  I have data disabled while roaming in my phone settings and it still charged me the fee what is happening?

I get a SMS  Saying Welcome to US.... and I check my phone settings it it says data roaming is off.

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Gerardjchan,

Welcome to the community!

Have you actually been charged for roaming? The email you received would have informed you that your phone connected to a foreign network. It doesn't necessarily mean you incurred any Fido Roam charges.

Most modern cellular phones automatically roam on foreign networks. Even with data roaming disabled, phones can still roam with voice and SMS. Disabling data roaming would only prevent data from being used while outside of Canada. However, merely connecting to a foreign network shouldn't incur roaming charges. It is usage of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- which will trigger the Fido Roam charge (see here). Receiving SMS does not trigger the Fido Roam charges. However, you should note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily charge.

In addition, rejecting an incoming call should no longer trigger the Fido Roam charge either (see here).

If you wish to prevent your phone from roaming, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode. Doing so would disable the antennae and prevent roaming. You could then manually enable Wifi if required.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

gerardjchan

Yes I was charged 7$

Hey there @gerardjchan

Just to confirm, is the charge of $7 appearing on your invoice as well or did you simply receive the message by SMS informing you that you are currently roaming?

To clarify, we do send you a welcome message when you cross the border of a country outside of Canada. The message aims to inform you of the current rates applicable at your destination and will not trigger any charges. In other words, a roaming fee will be billed only if you use your device outside of Canada.

If you'd like us to review your invoice together I would invite you to contact us at these channels so we can look into it. We can send you a PM here as well if you prefer.

Let us know!

gerardjchan

On my latest bill it shows the charge. 

Hey @gerardjchan

I'll be sending you a PM so we can look into this further.

Talk to you soon! Smiley

gerardjchan

this is solved via Chat support