cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges

jakerjac
I'm a participant level 2

I recently came back from a trip to Hawai'i. I checked my bill and I was charged $6.00 for using data while roaming despite having data turned off for the duration of my trip and not sending/receiving any texts or phone calls.

I looked at the detailed usage and I apparently used 0.02 MB (20K kB) of data which is pratcically nothing and isn't even enough data to open a webpage or send a message on WhatsApp.

This is quite frustrating and I'd like the know the best way to resolve this issue.

5 REPLIES 5

Merky
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I returned from California and was surprised to see my bill with 80 dollars in roaming charge's. I had my roaming off during my entire trip and when called Fido they argued stating you got a text we can,t help it. The agent was very rude as though we made an error. It is very frustrating as I only get the option to ask Jack and the problem wouldn't be solved until you try calling customer service. It is very frustrating to get awful service and see $200 bill.

Hi there @Merky and welcome to the Fido Community,

Receiving a higher bill is never pleasant and we're sorry to read about your experience with our customer service.

If you are having difficulties connecting with an agent with live chat (AskJack), you can type in ''chat with a rep'' in order to skip the prompts and to connect with the next available agent.

That said, regarding your roaming situation, when you say ''I had my roaming off during my entire trip'', can you tell us how exactly did you do that? As far as we know, there are no roaming settings on your device that prevent all of your services from being used while abroad other than putting your device in airplane mode which cuts off all services. The ''Data Roaming'' setting only prevents your data from used outside of Canada, calls and testing will still work.

Did you take a look at your invoice in the usage details to see which services triggered the roaming fees? If you need further assistance with your invoice, we're also available on Facebook or Twitter if that helps!

Hi @jakerjac , I can't guess why you had those charges. Fido customer support would be better to ask any questions regarding your billing. I usually use fidosolutions on Twitter to answer any of my billing questions so I don't have to wait on the phone. They'll ask the requisite security questions and be able to dialogue directly with you. Hope you get your answer. Cheers 

jakerjac

I chatted with a representative and was told that because I received a "Welcome to the US" text from Fido, that meant that my roaming was on and therefore they could not dispute the charge. The rest of my family got that same text message yet they were not charged for roaming. I told the rep that my roaming has never been turned on in my life yet unfortunately the blame was once again put on me. Very disappointed in Fido's customer service.

Hi there @jakerjac,

It is true that receiving that welcoming text doesn't automatically mean that you will be charged a roaming fee, just like your other family members didn't get charged. It only means that your phone connected a the network while roaming and that this information was relayed to us. We then send you this welcoming SMS to let you know that you are ready to go and with more info on how it works.

If you were billed a roaming fee, it means that usage has been detected. To check what triggered that fee, I invite you to view the last pages on your invoice. IF you need further assistance with that, we're also available on Facebook or Twitter!