cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received suspicious calls for offering 30%-40% off of my current plan

Seraphin
I'm a participant level 1

I received calls from these two weeks, claiming they are agents from Rogers and Fido. They said they could offer me 30% -40% off of my current plan.

For the first call, I said that I was busy, so just sent an email to your registered email address at Rogers/Fido. That man said okay and hung up the phone.

The second call I received asked me for my email address, and I said if you're from Rogers or Fido, you should have my contact email on file. The man said he's from a different department, so he didn't have it.

I strongly feel this is a new scam but I don't have much patience to hear how they can get me the discount or which personal info they need from me. If anyone received a similar call, please let me know if this is truly a scam. Thanks!  

20 REPLIES 20

sv2222

I received the same today from 416-907-4658

asmitaNaik

Today I got a call claiming they are from Rogers offering 40% discount on the current plan. They already knew my name, and the 2nd cell number in my account, later asked email address, account number, and mailing address and later to merge the account from Fido to Rogers were asking password of my fido account. I just hang-up later and blocked the number as no one will ask for Password.

Fido and Rogers should protect customer data. Because they had some of my info and I almost fell for this spam.  The biggest catch is the call number display showed "Rogers Communication".  Please be careful. 

Cebuana1975
I'm a participant level 2

Got a call just now and also telling me I can get 40% discount.  They said they will email me the discount form after verifying questions.  Asked my mame which I hesitantly give.  But when they asked me about my DOB then I told them I will not provide my DOB and email address.  I dont care if I don't get a discount if this is not a scam, I told them to send me email about your promotion then I hung up.  Very suspicious indeed.

Kat_

I got a call last night too. I was offered $25/month and a new iPhone 15 Pro. I told them I don't need a new phone so it was suggested that after it's sent to me, I just return it. It all didn't make sense - the phone was part of the promotion but I could just give it back and keep the lower plan? I was told I'll have to provide my name, DOB, email, Fido account number etc. That's when I told them to email me the offer and gave them my junk mail address. The email looks somewhat legit but also doesn't make a lot of sense. I was put on hold while he was sending the email so I just hung up. @Cebuana1975 did you get the email?

Cebuana1975

@Kat_ I did not get an email so far. 

Hood for you @Cebuana1975 , fido will never call you and ask those questions for something they are offering you. You would get an email or text to let you know to check your app or online account. Even if it was legit, you were right to hang up 

Cebuana1975

@Original_Lucy yes you are right they normally email or text for promotion.  I rarely answer unregistered number phone calls because if it's someone I really know they will txt or leave a msg.  Good thing I hang up after they asked me about my DOB.

setsab1296

I got a similar call today giving two options:

1. Upgrade of mobile

2. Free additional discount of 20-30%

Threat Actor says they are part of Roger Communications.

Fido might need to assess how does this information -- ( my phone number & I am a fido customer  ) got exposed to public domain

DheerajKumarn

I got a call today and automatically disconnected when he was trying to forward it to his manager.

strange part was he was able to send text to my number with last bill information matching to cents. I wonder if they have access to rogers database somehow.

What are they expecting from people while they have access to phone/email and names.. just want to understand the scam more 

We're sorry to see how you're feeling. Please contact us via one of our contact methods you can find here, and we will be happy to look into this with you. 

Vasanthnirmal

Yeah me too now they have a name for it Canadian Internet and Telephone Services ...(Scamsters) claiming to give 30% to 40% discount... I asked them to Get a life and a real Job.. Please forward to as many people as possible

Hey @Vasanthnirmal and @Seraphin,

Please contact us here, so we can review your account and check if any notes have been left.

Thank you.

jeilan0306

Received a call like that today... they asked for my email/asked for my current bill; never stated their company name, just "our company" and some other vague stuff. Not from Rogers/Fido, but claim to be affiliated. Pretty sure it's a scam, how can they apply a discount to a record/account they have no visibility into? 

And why on earth would Fido/Rogers allow everyone to get a 40% discount on their plans 😂

Yes it's a scam I've had a few calls from them and they always seem to need to know the email address, I even made one of them send me an email to one of my throwaway email addresses to confirm they are from Fido and it's a different email they use.

If you pressure them hard enough to confirm who they are they will eventually curse you about your mother and sister and hangup.

Prinz19

I received similar call today saying it's from Roger's and will help to reduce my bill by applying a 40% special discount with my current plan. No need to pay off my tab balance, can continue same contract with my current carrier Fido as its partner company of Rogers. 
they tried to transfer me to another department but I said I'm busy so want a call back number. He didn't even insist to provide me details as his name, employee ID and a call back number. 

It seems scam to me, so checked further and found these community posts. Now, it's confirmed! 

it should be taken care seriously !!!!

nilasiva167

I JUST got a very similar call right now as well. I was suspicious and asked them to tell me my name or email that they have on file and also stated that I'm suspicious because there are many scams going around. The person said they will transfer me to their manager and put me on hold. My gut said hang up, so I did. I'm glad I did, after seeing the above!

nothanksnono

Yes, I just got this scam call too from 778 349 3485.  Fido Security, you guys need to get on it with the blocking/labeling.  

modsquad

got one of these today Sad 

refused to give them the code a few times then hung up

Qkhalsa

I just got one of these too -- I didn't give them much...but they did get my email - doh!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Seraphin,

This definitely sounds like a scam to me also, thanks for letting us know.