cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Data, Gibsons BC

chrisck
I'm a contributor level 2

Data on the Rogers/Fido network in Gibsons BC has become unusable in the last couple of months. Web pages take 3-5 minutes to load, if they load at all. I have this problem on my iPhone, iPad and even my wife's Samsung. 

the issue occurs even with full LTE signal. So far phone calls seem unaffected. 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chrisck,

Unfortunately, there do not appear to be any Fido/Rogers cellular towers in Gibsons proper.

Gibson.jpg

~taken from here.

It's possible that only Telus has the licensing authority to erect cellular towers in the area as no other providers operate cellular towers in the area. With the roaming agreements, though, non-Telus customers are allowed to connect to those cellular towers as Fido-EXT (extended coverage). However, extended coverage usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of your usage would need to be on the Fido/Rogers networks.

Hope this helps 😀

chrisck

I belive the main tower for the area is meant to be that one on Elphinstone Mountain (just northwest of the town proper). Unfortunately in talking with Fido/Rogers, it seems that there is a tendancy for phones in Gisbons to lock into the tower located on Bowen Island (to the southeast) which is known to have high levels of summer traffic.

Unfortunately theres not much I can do about this as a customer, other than hope that at some time they will upgrade coverage/throughput sometime in the future.