Paying off device balance to lower monthly plan

I'm a Participant Level 2 Talhah
I'm a Participant Level 2

Paying off device balance to lower monthly plan

In the plan I am using for note 9...my cell phone's current balance is $593. I pay $145 PERMONTH. Can I pay the remaining balance for my cellphone , and get the same plan cheaper.

Accepted Solution

Re: Paying off device balance to lower monthly plan

Hello @Talhah ,

Welcome to the community!

If you pay off your tab your monthly bill will still be the same. In order to lower your monthly cost you will most likely have to switch plans. 

I would suggest you call and speak to customer service to see what can be done, sometimes they have special offers just for you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1
Solution

Hello @Talhah ,

If you pay off your tab your monthly bill will still be the same. In order to lower your monthly cost you will most likely have to switch plans. 

I would suggest you call and speak to customer service to see what can be done, sometimes they have special offers just for you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 Talhah
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
MVP
MVP

Hello Talhah,

To elaborate what was previously mentioned, most of the Canadian cellular providers offer subsidised plans. That is, the plans incorporate the phone subsidy into the small, medium, etc plans. At the end of your contract (or if you pay off the balance), the subsidy remains as a part of your plan should you wish to get another phone. You should note this system is different from financed plans offered by some providers of the US and Tabs (see here). With financed plans and Tabs, once your contract is finished, the financing and Tabs are also complete. Most Canadian providers do not use a finance model while a few only recently started to use the Tab model.

If you do not wish to subsidise another phone, you would need to switch to a current in-market Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan. Current in-market plans may or may not offer the same details as your current plan. If you do not request to switch to a BYOP plan, your plan would remain the same as during your contract, though it would be on a monthly basis.

If you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

it is always cheaper to have your phone purchased outright, pick your own plan.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5