cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off device balance to lower monthly plan

Talhah
I'm a participant level 2

In the plan I am using for note 9...my cell phone's current balance is $593. I pay $145 PERMONTH. Can I pay the remaining balance for my cellphone , and get the same plan cheaper.

6 REPLIES 6

Ag00
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Well that's **bleep**. The plan includes monthly payments on the phone. By continuing to charge the customer for something they already paid for... well, isn't that fraud?

Hello Ag00,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned in another post, with the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). Since the cost was incorporated into the plan cost, is not possible to simply remove the subsidy from those plans. Customers would have had to switch to a BYOP plan after their contracts had completed. That's just the way the device subsidy model worked. It's the model most of the mobile providers used when offering devices.

You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans.

If you did not switch plans, you will not automatically get a new cellphone. In order to finance another device, you would also need to switch to a new plan as the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

it is always cheaper to have your phone purchased outright, pick your own plan.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Talhah,

To elaborate what was previously mentioned, most of the Canadian cellular providers offer subsidised plans. That is, the plans incorporate the phone subsidy into the small, medium, etc plans. At the end of your contract (or if you pay off the balance), the subsidy remains as a part of your plan should you wish to get another phone. You should note this system is different from financed plans offered by some providers of the US and Tabs (see here). With financed plans and Tabs, once your contract is finished, the financing and Tabs are also complete. Most Canadian providers do not use a finance model while a few only recently started to use the Tab model.

If you do not wish to subsidise another phone, you would need to switch to a current in-market Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan. Current in-market plans may or may not offer the same details as your current plan. If you do not request to switch to a BYOP plan, your plan would remain the same as during your contract, though it would be on a monthly basis.

If you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Talhah ,

If you pay off your tab your monthly bill will still be the same. In order to lower your monthly cost you will most likely have to switch plans. 

I would suggest you call and speak to customer service to see what can be done, sometimes they have special offers just for you.

Talhah

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!