Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving text messages from international banks

prashant5639
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I am not receiving any text messages from international banks like State Bank of India, Bank of America or Citibank, USA. 

I am able to text myself and text from international SIM to my fido number is also working. Its just that the bank alerts and OTP's are not working. Can someone please help?

Thanks.

52 REPLIES 52

watem
I'm a participant level 1

I used to be able to get texts from my bank in Australia, but for the past little while I can't. This is reaping havoc with my bill payments! My bank tells me there is no problem at their end - so Foido- what has caused this problem for me and how can I fix it asap?

thanks

Andrei7
I'm a participant level 2

Hey!
April 28th, same problem
I cannot receive SMS with a confirmation code from my Russian bank.
And judging by this discussion (and similar), Faido still does not have a ready-made solution.

Hey @Andrei7,

Welcome to the community!

It's important to know that only short codes that are approved by The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) can be received on your phone.

You can find the current list here.

Let us know if your code is part of the list and still can't receive it. 

Andrei7

Hello @FidoLony
unfortunately did not find them in the list
the bank is most likely the same as that of "inkiltie" only sms have stopped coming recently

inkiltie

Hi. I'm stuck in the same situation. I do not receive messages with verification codes from my Russian bank. This is pissing me off, because my other account in the same bank has a Koodo number attached and all messages arriving within a few seconds. Please check why I do not receive messages from numbers like:  +1 (856) 333-1794, +1 (856) 333-1735, +1 (856) 333-1765.

These are exact numbers from my bank that I receive on Koodo. If you cannot allow such messages to go through to Fido, then I'm switching to Koodo.

P.S. Last time I received messages from my bank to Fido number at January 29, 2021. But now it is dead silence.

justcheck
I'm a contributor level 2

This is definetly an issue with FIDO and they dont seem likely to do anything about it. Out of sheer frustration I decided to take a chance switch the phone number in my bank to a virtual google voice number and voila, messages started popping up instantly. A ticket to the technical team was raised at least three times in the past 2 or 3 months and were all closed without a solution. 

The interesting thing that I found during the brief period that I was receiving these messages on the FIDO number was, they seem to have been coming in from different numbers each time, but after switching to the google number these message always come from only 2 numbers (833-353-1069 and 361-502-4641). One set of messages come for transactions and the other for security related measures for login, so it clear that there is consistentcy from where these messages come from.

I suspect there are weird re-directs happening within FIDO, which is why sometimes the texts are delivered from random numbers and other times they aren't delivered. This could also explain why some people within FIDO receive messages from the same bank while others are stuck.

Hopefully one day in future, the FIDO tech team will actually find a solution but until then, we are better off changing the number registered with the Bank to a non FIDO number. 

Nik6

Hello Justcheck

I moved to Toronto na few days back (in September 2021) and registered my Fido number with SBI. But I am unable to receive the OTP sms to access Internet Banking. 

Could you please let me know if you figured out this issue? Does moving out of Fido to some other carrier fix the issue?

Please let me know.

Regards

Hello @Nik6,

You should be able to receive all OTP from this list of short codes.

https://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

inkiltie

If there is a chance that these numbers are just blocked somehow, please allow all messages from number pattern +1 (856) 333-17** to come through. Last digits could be any number from 00 to 99. Thanks.

RanjitS

Hey,

I am trying to receive an OTP from an Italian bank and I am encountering the same issue. What should I do?

Hey @RanjitS,

You can reach out to our customer care team so we can review this case together. Alternatively, we can also PM you here if you'd like.

justcheck

Hey Prashant,

Just to let you know, I have started receiving OTP's on my Fido number since yesterday.

prashant5639

Hello @justcheck how did you fix it? Can you please guide me as well. Thanks.

justcheck

@prashant5639 Just to give you an update the OTP SMS's stopped working again.

What I can confidently say is that, while it was working, I also started receiving a few spam SMS messages from various random numbers. So my hunch is that FIDO is filtering out certain messages and when they do, the OTP messages are filtered out as well. 

Ever since I stopped receiving OTP messages after the brief period, I haven't received a single SPAM SMS. So if anyone from FIDO is reading, I would rather live with the spam messages and OTP messages being delivered to me instead of having them blocked.

AND please don't ask me to answer any questions in private messages, I have already explained myself several times just to have another customer care Rep take over the conversation and ask me the same questions over and over again.

Hey @justcheck,

I followed up with you in PM. We definitely want to help and the only way to go about it is to open a ticket with our technical support. I understand you might not be able to find out the numbers that are sending you the code as they change all the time and we'll do our best to investigate with time stamps. 

Simply get back to my PM when you're available. Talk soon! 

justcheck

I didn't do anything. Either the Fido team actually did some investigating and fixed it or some Magic happened.

justcheck

I have the same issue where I don't receive verification SMS from State Bank of India. I can confirm that they aren't using short codes and I have also checked with the bank, they said they don't see any issues on their side. I have contacted FIDO support and they say they don't see any issues, clearly others like me are having the same issue, its hard to see why it isn't addressed properly.

Hey @justcheck

Did you verify with them that they are able to send messages to Canadian numbers? Also, did it ever work before?

justcheck

Yes, I did verify with them and I did receive a message on the 29th of December from this bank. I just don't understand why this issue is prevelant among so many users.

Hey @justcheck

Do you know if they always use the same number? If not, are you able to confirm with them what numbers they use to send messages?