cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line promo

Hawklan
I'm a participant level 2

So Fido has a $45 for 10gb for adding a second line promo on.

When I called Fido they said my current 2nd line did not qualify as it was only for new lines. When I explained my second line was BYOP and I could cancel the line with no penalty and simply re-add a new line the next day the agent confirmed I could and would get the promo then.

Having to cancel the line to 'add' it anew to qualify for the deal seems more than a little ridiculous. Why can't they see that signing up for 24mo contract from a BYOP with no commitments is a new line?

not happy that the company cannot bridge the gap for me here.

3 REPLIES 3

Hawklan

I know, but it is a new contract. Right now Fido is incentivizing me to go across the street to a competitor to get a similar promotion. It seems shortsighted of the company as they would be locking up my second line for 24 mo, isn't that want they want?

I guess I see BYOP as 'free agents' that haven't been locked up by anyone, hence promotions should include them. I've enjoyed Fido and I would hate to port to another port my 2nd line to another provider, but for $120 over 24 mo I will.

Seems a shame that this gap in their marketing strategy doesn't reward existing customers not locked in on contracts re-upping, which I would assume would be a priority for them.

Hello Haklan,

Welcome to the community!

Incentive promotions are not unique to telecommunications. Almost every sector has them. For example, some Banks have offered cash bonuses or tablets on new accounts. Unfortunately, if you had an existing account, you would not be eligible for that offer. Credit cards, gym memberships, etc are also examples of businesses which offer promotions targeted at new customers.

@Hawklan wrote: I know, but it is a new contract. .... It seems shortsighted of the company as they would be locking up my second line for 24 mo, isn't that want they want?...

To clarify, Fido has switched from their old subsidised phone model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. Your contract is for financing the phone, not for services. They are not locking up your second line. You are free to switch providers at any time. However, doing so before your device had been fully paid would result in being charged the balance owing on your device.

Unfortunately, marketing strategies from a consumer's point of view often differs from a business perspective.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Hawklan,

Welcome to the community!

I understand what you are saying but going from a BYOP to financing a new device is not adding a new line, providers tend to give a bit more incentive for new lines simply to gain more business.