cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need another line set up, have new iPhone 4s locked to Telus

Jonibean
I'm a participant level 2

Our family currently has two lines and I would like to set up a third for a child. We have an iPhone 3S, locked to Fido, on a Fido account, and a 4 unlocked on a Fido account. We now also have a new 4S, locked to Telus. I would like to use this phone to replace my 3s, give the 3s to my daughter (with a new line), and eventually upgrade the 3g. I would rather not sign a contract - we have been with Fido from back when it was still Microcell.

What is the best way to do this? Do I have to move to Telus? Currently the kids do not have data on their phones but it might be ok to have some kind of shared data plan between the three of us. Is this possible and what would the costs be?

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@Jonibean wrote:

Our family currently has two lines and I would like to set up a third for a child. We have an iPhone 3S, locked to Fido, on a Fido account, and a 4 unlocked on a Fido account. We now also have a new 4S, locked to Telus. I would like to use this phone to replace my 3s, give the 3s to my daughter (with a new line), and eventually upgrade the 3g. I would rather not sign a contract - we have been with Fido from back when it was still Microcell.

What is the best way to do this? Do I have to move to Telus? Currently the kids do not have data on their phones but it might be ok to have some kind of shared data plan between the three of us. Is this possible and what would the costs be?

Where did you get the Telus phone? Telus will unlock iPhones after 90 days on account for $35. Fido cannot unlock Telus iPhones. If you don't have a Telus account, if the person you bought it from still have their Telus account open then you could as them to call Telus and have it unlocked for you.

Jonibean

My husband got it from work, but he prefers his android phone. So it's new and has never been used. 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@Jonibean wrote:

My husband got it from work, but he prefers his android phone. So it's new and has never been used. 

Then if you want to use it on Fido, your best options are:

1) Temoprarily open a prepaid or low cost postpaid line with Telus, have them add the IMEI from your phone to the device list for the account and then in 3 months have them unlock it for $35. Not a great option, but you get a formally unlocked phone that will never lock again.

2) Find out if that model and firmware is compatible with the exploit unlocks that have been around. The downside to most of these is they are no permanent and if you upgrade the OS without taking certain steps you will lose the unlock. Newer OSes usually cannot be expoited for an unlock so you might not even have this as an option.

3) Find a 3rd party unlocker that unlocks Telus iPhones through Apple's system. They do this by gaining access to a Telus employee that is willing to submit the unlocks through their system under the table for a fee. They have people inside all of the Canadian carriers so you will be able to get it unlocked this way. The downside is the usually charge more than the carrier, so expect $750-$100.

4) Move to Telus.