Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a collect call

felipefmelo
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

How do I make a collect call with my postpaid plan?

I can't find anything online.

The "Get to know fido" guide says that: "Collect calls cannot be received on your Fido phone. However, you can make a collect call. Local airtime charges apply."

http://www.fido.ca/cms/pdf/GET_TO_KNOW_FIDO_GUIDE_EN.pdf

The only place I found something related to it is for prepaid plans and to North America (I need to call a number in South America).

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/faircall_prepaid_collect_call?lang=en

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone,

Here's an update on the situation Smiley

Collect calls are not supported for Fido postpaid customers since we have a very low volume of request for such functionality.

That being said, prepaid customers do have the option to place collect calls. To do so, you have to dial *525. Collect calls can be placed to Canada and United States, but local airtime charges apply. One thing though, you cannot accept any collect calls.

If you want more information regarding this service, you can contact the service provider BBG by dialling 1-800-350-1077 or visiting faircall.com.

Hope that helps Happy

Rob_Fido
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hi felipefmelo,

Did u try placing a "0" before the area code and phone number you are trying to dial instead of a "1"? Does this allow you to make a collect call to a long distance number?

felipefmelo

Hi Rob_Fido,

I've just tried the following formats and none works:

0<country_code><area_code><phone_number>

+0<country_code><area_code><phone_number>

The first one simply doesn't work.

The second one gives me the message "Unfortunately we cannot complete your call as dialed..."

Thanks,

Felipe

Hi felipefmelo,

After checking this out a little further, I don't think we are allowed to make collect calls from our cellular phones. Like you, I tried to make a call with "0" and "+0" before the number and it failed. Dialing "0" doesn't get me into contact with a directory assistance service either. From what I found I think there is only an exception in Canada for prisoners in correctional facilities to make a certain number of collect calls from a mobile device but that's it. Unless you are in jail, which I hope you're not, you shouldn't be able to make collect calls from your cellular phone.

That being said, what are your long distance calling needs? I'm sure there's an app or a service out there you can use instead. If the recipient of your call was willing to flip the bill anyways for the call, I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper for both of you to either add a long distance option to your plan or use an app with a paying service for making the long distance calls. I would advise you to look for alternative options for your long distance needs.

felipefmelo

Hi Rob_Fido,

It doesn't look accurate to me and, that's not what the fido guide says.

When I was a Bell client I've made some collect calls from my cell phone a couple of times.

I have to call a bank institution, which means, there is no one I could ask to call me back.
The call goes thru all the answering machine stuff and I've already tried to use Google hangout and Just Voip for that. However, the overall experience was pretty bad, the quality wasn't good, it was lagging, etc.

Hi felipefmelo,

I cannot dispute the link you quoted since it clearly says what you are asking to do should be possible. The only I thing I notice is that the document quoted is from Dec 2, 2013. The document requires either an update or more clarification in regards to making collect calls. I think we should allow FidoRachel to look into this further.

Spy2300
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2
Hello,

It is my understanding that collect calls on Fido cell phones are blocked. Fido does however accept collect calls if you are calling to us via a land-line.

My understanding is that Fido only allows collect calls for our prepaid customers by pressing *525 and they can be placed to Canadian or US numbers only.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Good question felipefmelo! 

We're looking into this, we'll get back to you shortly! 

felipefmelo

Thanks FidoRachel, I appreciate it.