cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS rarely goes through

whatup2003
I'm a contributor level 1

When someone is sending me a MMS I can rarely view it. I'm pretty sure my setting is correct because occationally one picture or two do get through to me. Can someone help me on this issue? Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @whatup2003

To be able to send and receive MMS your mobile data needs to be enabled.

Are you experiencing this situation even when your mobile data is turned on?

Note that you can still be connected to Wi-Fi at the same time too. Either way, MMS will not use up your mobile data when sending and receiving pictures through your default messaging app.

whatup2003

Yes the data is turned on all the time, but MMS often fails to download. 

Hello @whatup2003,

What is the make and model of the phone you are using and did you get it from Fido?

If you have any antivirus apps installed you might want to try disabling it and see if it helps.

whatup2003

Hi @KAPABLE-K  

my phone is Mi9 transparent version. It's not from Fido. I don't have any antivirus installed.

Hey @whatup2003,

You can verify that you have the correct APN settings here.

You can also try enabling data roaming sometimes depending on where the phone was purchase from that setting needs to be enabled.

whatup2003

Hi @KAPABLE-K 

I've checked APN settings again, and it's correct(it should be because I CAN receive/download mms sometimes, very rarely).

I tried turning on roaming but it didn't change a thing.

Thanks for trying to help though!

Hello Whatup2003,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your MMS. Are you using the same phone as your last thread here? If it is, then we can confirm that phone has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for LTE (Fido switched from Band 17 to Band 12). However, that thread didn't note whether the phone was fully compatible with the 2G or '3G' networks. Is it possible that version of the phone does not include all of the compatible 2G and '3G' bands/frequencies?

In addition, you note that you can sporadically send/receive MMS. Are you able to discern any pattern as to where and when you are able to do so?

Since your phone is not a device Fido carries, it's unlikely that features like voLTE or Wifi-calling would work. As such, MMS might only be able to be sent and/or received via the '3G' networks. It's possible that, at your location, you do not receive adequate signal to send/receive MMS. Many factors can affect cellular signals, including possible interference and location relative to cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers, here. With my old phone, I remember having drive across town in order to get adequate signal for MMS to be sent or received. I could send/receive SMS, make/receive calls at my home, but MMS would just not transmit properly at that location.

You might consider a trial where you try to send/receive MMS at a location closer to the cellular towers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

whatup2003

hi @Cawtau 

Thanks for taking the time to write all these. Yes I'm still using the same phone, Xiaomi Mi9 Transparent version.

According to This website it's compatible with all 4g,3g, and 2g bands of Fido.

I also checked the signal tower link and there is a rogers tower around 1km from my home.

As of the pattern of successful/failed receiving MMS, I have successfully received a MMS last month in my home, but still 90% of MMS I tried to download at home failed. So I get it's not a matter of location either.

Oh well, maybe I'll just stick to email or other comm software for picture sending/receiving. Thanks for all the help guys!

Hello again,

Did the phone update its OS at all? I understand you verified it's using the proper APN. However, did you check to see if the APN included the proper MMS settings? Some phones rely on the phone's internal database for APNs. Unfortunately, that database is not always accurate. Some community members have noted that the APN settings included in the internal APN database does not include MMS information for ltemobile.apn (see here). I understand they are using devices from a different phone manufacturer, but it's possible they could be using the same APN database. You might consider trying whether the Fido-core-appl1.apn will allow you to send/receive MMS. For some reason, that APN did seem to have the necessary MMS settings included in the internal database.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

whatup2003

hi @Cawtau 

I double checked my APN settings and my mms server address is correct.

I read the post you sent me and it mentioned that:

"You might consider trying the fido-core-appl1.apn to see if you are able to send and/or receive MMS as the database appears to have that APN correctly listed. Unfortunately, using that APN would not allow connecting to the LTE networks."

I guess I'll stick with the lte apn and live with it without getting mms.

Hey @whatup2003

Have you had the chance to try it with the APN fido-core-appl1.apn to confirm if your MMS services are fully functional? Can you make the switch and try it out?

As a side note, you've mentioned being able to send and receive sometimes.This would indicate that the service is running as intended. We'd like to confirm a few more details just to be sure:

1. What happens when you send an MMS to your own number?
  2. Are the received MMS from the same contact?
  3. If it's from multiple contacts, is there any similarities? (service provider, phone brand/model, location,etc.)

Let us know!