cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance calls rate?

souganthika_s
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello folks! I have a Fido plan for 20GB per month, but do not have an add on for long distance calls. I made a 7 SECOND call to the UAE last month, and have been charged 5 CAD in this regard, for a call length of 2 mins. I want to understand the charge so made. Could you please help me understand why I have been charged for 2 whole minutes for a 7 second call?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Souganthika_s,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand it's troubling having a seemingly short call being charged as a longer length of time. However, you should note the airtime charges (plus long distance, if applicable) apply to completed or answered calls from the moment you press SEND until you press END and includes the ring time (taken from Terms & Conditions; Section 3g). On the other hand, your phone likely starts its call counter once the recipient picks up. While people have argued that the time spent ringing isn't actual call time, it is considered airtime.

In addition to ring time, there are other sources of airtime which are not considered by a phone's call counter -- post-dialling delay, answer-signal delay and call-release delay (see here). Most, if not all, overseas calls would be via voIP and the protocols required to establish calls take time to connect calls (see here). Furthermore, multiple switches and gateways involved in setting up an international call can also add to post-dialling delay time.

You should also note that local and long distance airtime charges are rounded up to the next full minute (T & C; 3g). For example, a 61 second call would be rounded up to two minutes. If you take into consideration ring time, the various delays, and call time, it's very possible to exceed the one-minute minimum charge.

If you regularly are required to make long-distance calls, you might consider Fido's Preferred International call rate add-on (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSit2
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have a similar issue with an add-on for Long-Distance but, with the rate sheet coming up as not available, and my need to make a LD call today for a time-sensitive issue. I fear that I will get the full LD fee for a potentially 2 to 3 minutes conversation. I have already wasted more than one-hour on trying to reach Fido before the LD call, plus the office's end-of-business-day is fast approaching. Poor customer service.

Hello FidoSit2,

I replied to your other post here.

I understand you issue was time-sensitive, however, I hope this helps 😀

Cheers