cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International texting not working

Bmbums
I'm a participant level 2

For a short time I was able to send messages internationally, I still do, I think because it shows on my messaging app that it was sent; however, the person that I was messaging didn't receive any texts that I'm sending. The number is in the right format. I can also receive their messages internationally. Help

11 REPLIES 11

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Bmbums,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

Since the message shows as Sent on your side, it's possible that the other party is not able to receive the text messages.

Have you tried sending international text messages to any other international number to see if the messages would be received successfully? Also, would you happen to know if the person in question is able to receive messages from others and if this only happens with you?

Keep us posted and we'll take it from there.

Bmbums

I did that, it doesn't work as well. I've read other post like this, maybe there's something wrong with fido international texts. It was working good in the beginning, why would it stop? 

To confirm, you're currently unable to send messages to any international numbers, correct? Are you using the default messaging app in your phone?

If the numbers are saved in your contact list, try adding 011 followed by the country code before the phone number. 

Once the contact is updated, try sending another SMS.

Bmbums

i tried that too, i even changed my number, the same thing happened

Hey @Bmbums,

I was going to send you a PM on here to take a closer look,  but we'll continue checking this out on Twitter as discussed Smiley

RV3

Hello, I have the exact same problem. Could you help me with this please?

Hello RV3,

Welcome to the community!

Have you verified you're using the correct format? When texting international numbers, we must first include the International dialling prefix (IDP), followed by the Country calling code, followed by the phone number. The IDP is varies by country (see here). In Canada, the IDP is 011.  Since the IDPs vary by country, the International dialling prefix can be replaced by the plus symbol, +.

So the proper international texting format is + followed by Country Calling Code followed by Area Code followed by phone number.

To which country are you trying to send a SMS? Some countries (ie Ireland) have zeros preceding their area codes which are not included when using the international dialling/texting format.

Are you able to send SMS within Canada? Are your recipients able to send/receive messages within their countries?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @RV3 ,

Were you able to get this figured out? Keep us posted!

RV3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However the problem isn't resolved. I try to send text messages to Belgium, so I use the prefix +32. The strange thing is that it used to work without any problem, I didn't change anything to my contact numbers or settings and suddenly the recipients (who also didn't change anything) don't receive my texts anymore. The messages are sent, but not delivered and the problem is at my side because they are able to send and receive texts, also from me until a few weeks ago.

Could you think of any setting or reason which may cause this?

Thanks

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the update @RV3

That's odd, are you able to receive SMS from that number?

And if you call them, does the call goes through or you get an error message?

Keep us posted Smiley

Hey @RV3 ,

We haven't heard back! Let us know if you were able to sort this out!