Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming

FTJ
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello

While I am travelling to Asian Countries, I just need the flow of text messages to be on.  Will receiving a text message (usually PIN for Financial Transactions) incur any International Roaming charges on my mobile.

Curently, I have PostPaid services.

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello FTJ,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned previously, the Fido Roam charge will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad, so just receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge. However, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

If you did not wish to use the Fido Roam feature, you might consider contacting customer service and request to opt-out of Fido Roam. After opting-out, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis as outlined on Fido's Travel page.

In addition, to clarify, rejecting a call should no longer incur roaming fees.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Amin1968
I'm a participant level 3

Hi. 
I have very Bad Experience with Fido Roam. I was out of country for 23 days than Fido charge me $356for roaming. They activated my Roaming Service automatically without myconcern. Whenever I called to Fido customer service they are not helping me. To resolve my changes. 

Hello Amin1968,

I replied to your other post here. As mentioned in that reply, Fido Roam is enabled by default. You should have received an initial Welcome message outlining the details when your phone first connected to the foreign networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Amin1968

Fido Roaming service should be ask to customers concern for Fido  roaming service . 

Good morning @FTJ , if I understand correctly,  you won't be charged for texts received,  only texts sent. This is what I read. 

If you would like to avoid roaming charges, there are a few things you would need to know.

Do not answer any calls or make any calls.
Do not send any text messages.
Don't call your voicemail.
Keep the data turned off.

This leads me to understand that it's fine to receive a text, just don't send any or make or answer phone calls. Also if your phone rings just let it go directly to the voice mail because if you refuse the call then it's chargeable.  
Hope that answers your questions.