Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming

grs1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

I am currently out of Canada.

I used Fido International Roam for a week and then I removed my SIM card from the phone.

Now I am not using any service of Fido.

Will I still be charged roaming rates?

2 REPLIES 2

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @grs1,

Just to add if you are not aware Fido will be "Waiving Fido Roam and all pay-per-use roaming fees in all countries where we offer roaming for all postpaid consumers travelling outside of Canada between March 16th and April 30th 2020." Taken from here.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Grs1,

Welcome to the community!

Fido will only charge roaming fees for actual usage on a foreign network. That is, when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad (see here).

An alternative method to prevent roaming fees would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. You could manually enable Wifi when required. When using this method, you should note that certain Wifi-calling usage would also be considered roaming. In addition, there have been some instances where the Airplane or Flight mode settings do not function as intended so you might consider testing the functionality of your device before attempting this method.

If you removed the Fido SIM card from your phone, it will not be able to access any mobile network so you would not get charged roaming fees. That would also include not being able to access Wifi-calling.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers