cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity exposure e-mail

Karmac
I'm a participant level 1

I have 4 service lines under Fido. I got an email about my identity being exposed and to open my true identity. What good is the true identity check after informations being leaked. No wonder I've been getting bunch of scam calls these days. Definitely not paying for any charges on my credit card? Fido did not call me but all I got is an email notification! Really!! 

4 REPLIES 4

Nascar7518

Good morning, I received this email regarding a breach that was stopped before it unfolded. I wanted to verify the authenticity of this email. 

Nascar7518_0-1584538827347.png

Nascar7518_1-1584538827430.png

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR FIDO ACCOUNT

Dear Robert,

We are writing to inform you about a recent situation with a Fido service provider that involves your residential services account information.

What Happened?

On February 26, 2020, Fido became aware that one of our external service providers had inadvertently made information available online that provided access to a database managed by the service provider. We immediately made sure the information was removed. We sincerely apologize for the situation. No credit card, no banking, or no password information was exposed. Our investigation continues, but we currently have no knowledge that your information has been misused in any way.

What Information was Involved?

Customer information that was used by the vendor to fulfill promotional offers on behalf of Fido was included in the database. This was limited to customer name, address, residential services account number, email address and phone number. No wireless account number was included, which reduces the risk that your information could be misused.

What We’re Doing to Protect You

We take the protection of our customer’s private information very seriously.

As a precaution, we’re taking extra steps to protect your account. When you contact us to discuss your account, you’ll be asked for additional information to verify your identity. This is information that’s easy for you to provide and would only be known by you.

Fido is also making complimentary credit monitoring service available to you through TransUnion for one year. This includes:

• Daily access to your credit score on TransUnion’s website, as well as credit report monitoring and alerts of key changes
  • Monitoring hidden websites where personal information might be made available to unauthorized users
  • Up to $50,000 in fraud identify insurance should your information be compromised
If you wish to activate this service, please go to www.mytrueidentity.ca and enter this activation code XXXXXXXXXXXXX by June 30, 2020.

You also have the option of adding additional security measures to your account, including a security PIN or registering for our Voice ID program. Voice ID is a service that keeps your account secure by using your unique voiceprint to authenticate you.

Protecting your information is very important to us. If you have any questions or concerns, we have a Q&A available at fido.ca/customer-notice. If you still have any questions or concerns, contact us in any of the ways listed on fido.ca/contactus.

Sincerely,

Eric Agius, Chief Customer Officer
Deborah Evans, Chief Privacy Officer

Hello @Nascar7518 and @slgta , 

Welcome to the community!

I've moved your post to this thread. You can find the information in the solution above. 

Hope this helps! 

slgta

My friend and I both received this email and would like confirmaion before we click on any link on the email as well.

I cannot find any mention of this on the Fido.ca webesite

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Karmac

Welcome to our Community! 

To start, I just want to reassure you that we are fully committed to protecting the security and confidentiality of our consumers’ information, and we deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. You can also rest assured that no credit card, no banking, or no password information was exposed and the database itself was not posted online.

Securing impacted customers’ accounts is the most important action a company can take during such an incident and we immediately took steps to do so.  As a precaution, we’re taking extra steps to protect affected customers. This includes:

• Notifying impacted customers directly
  • Offering a complimentary credit monitoring service through Trans Union that provides credit monitoring and alerts, and fraud identity insurance. Customers who are affected will receive details in the email or letter we send them.
  • Adding extra authentication procedures to impacted accounts. When those customers call us to discuss their account, they will be asked for additional information to verify their identity. This is information that’s easy for the customer to provide and would only be known by them

In addition to the security measures taken by Rogers, customers are encouraged to adopt good habits to ensure their personal information remains secure. For example:

• change your passwords and security questions frequently;
  • review all your service and financial accounts for any suspicious activity;
  • never click links or open attachments in unsolicited emails and text messages;
  • use secure WiFi connections when making online purchases or checking bank accounts; 
  • be suspicious of any emails or text messages asking for personal information; and
  • contact us if you have concerns about any activity on your Rogers account.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, we have a Q&A here and we can always send you a PM on the Community to look into this with you, let us know.