cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to separate phone bill

Jk43
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I live in BC . My son just moved to Montreal. He is 18th.  His account is under my name because he is minor in BC. We want to separate the bills. In Montreal he is eligible to open his own account under his name, his address, payment by his Visa. How does it work ? . He needs to separate the bill as soon as possible from mine. 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jk43,

Welcome to the community!

If you would like the your son to take over his line, that would be a Transfer of Responsibility (TOR) of his line. You  should note that he would need to open his own account at the time of transfer and that a credit evaluation would likely be needed. In addition, it should be noted that there would be a fee for the transfer (see here). 

Furthermore, he should also note that if he is currently financing a device, the remaining balance for the device would be required as the financing would not transfer (see Payment Program).

In light of your son moving to a different Province, it is worth mentioning that there are considerations if he wishes to keep his BC phone number in a different Province. Firstly, since the phone number is based in BC, the taxes on services would be from BC (see here). In addition, he would not be able to avail of any Québec-specific promotions. There may be other considerations to keeping an out-of-Province phone number he might look into.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. You would first need to contact customer service and notify them of your intent to transfer the responsibility of his line. Your son would also need to contact customer service and notify them of their intent to take responsibility for the line and open the account. You would then need to contact them to complete the transfer.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers