cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make my business name show up on the invoice instead of my name?

neufsky
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I started a business recently  and want to have my business name shown as the payee on my Fido invoice. How to do it? 

1 REPLY 1

thePoodleFarmer
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

Are you a sole proprietor? If so, the legal name of your business is your own name. You might be able to get it appended with a yourname DBA yourbusiness.

That is recognized by CRA as legal and compliant.

And you won't find many who are willing to open an account under a business name if it is not a registered limited liability partnership or company. There must have been a big compliance sweep a few years ago, all my banking, credit cards and so forth got switched from my business name to my personal name DBA my business name

It helps a lot if you have a CRA notice like the HST registration number and an Ontario Master Business License (that is current not expired) specifying your business name to get even the DBA recognized and appended to your information. 

Of course if you have a business that isn't sole proprietorship, then none of this necessarily applies. Then you get into doing credit applications to have your business credit approved, not just you personally. But it makes it simpler for accounting/audit and taxation. Just more work up front.

That doesn't address the specific process with FIDO, more along the lines of the prerequisites you (or others) might need to consider.

HTH

🐩