cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block calls with display name starting V30/V31

Knomaze
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm getting 10-20 calls per day from calls with my NPA-NXX and a display name starting V30 or V31

Is there anyway to block these calls on an andriod phone without blocking the entire NPA-NXX range?

None of these are marketing or legitmate calls - they are all fraud and robo dialed.

I thought this whole STIR/SHAKEN thing was supposed to prevent this type of hassassment not increase the volume of these types of calls. The last month it seems the problem has gotten exponentally worse.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Knomaze,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any satisfactory means to block those calls on Android. There used to be a way to block numbers or caller ID with a starts with or begins with command. Sadly though, I haven't been able to find that command with the newer Android versions.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since, as you note, many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. 

@Knomaze wrote:

...I thought this whole STIR/SHAKEN thing was supposed to prevent this type of hassassment not increase the volume of these types of calls. ...

I understand many people thought the introduction of STIR/SHAKEN would put an end to such calls. Unfortunately, most people aren't fully aware of the protocol and its limitations. I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM. In other words, I don't think the protocol was meant to block calls. In addition, there are circumstances in which the protocol might not work (see here). As far as I am aware, only certain devices currently benefit from the protocol.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers