cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone signal problems

miakoda
I'm a participant level 3

The box is set up at a window with 3 to 4 full green network bars.  I get a dialtone, and it's still in the same green bar range, but the minute it makes a connection with a dialed number and it rings at the other end, the bars on the device go ALL RED, and connection is so horrible that I and the other person can hardly hear each other.  When I hang up, the network bars go back to greeen.

I have moved the device to other windows and it does the same.  I have unplugged it, removed the battery, turned it off.  

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Miakoda,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with your home phone. Could you please clarify whether you have a new Home phone adapter or one of the older devices. As mentioned in a previous reply, the older models would now have limited compatibility.

In addition, in your previous thread you noted your cellular phone sometimes was using extended coverage or did not have any signal. Unfortunately, the Home phone is not available in extended coverage (see Full Details here). If your area is on the edge of Fido/Rogers coverage, the device might connect to extended coverage tower while in stand-by, but switch to a Fido/Rogers tower which has inadequate signal because the service is not available in extended coverage.

If you have one of the older Home Phone adapters, obtaining a newer device with LTE-compatibility might help your situation. However, if your cellular phone often switches to extended coverage a new adapter may not solve your issue.

If there are no issues at your surrounding cellular towers, but your signal troubles are due to the decommissioning of GSM and re-farming of some WCDMA frequencies, there may not be a simple solution to your situation.

If your area is able to receive some weak cellular signals, you might consider purchasing a signal booster. Increasing the cellular signals would benefit both your home phone as well as your cellular phone. If this is a consideration, you would need to ensure the device is capable of boosting the proper bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

miakoda

I imagine it would be the new one as I got the feature in spring 2021 - it's ZTE.  There's a Rogers tower 8.4km for me. 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. I understand the cellular tower might seem close. However, in addition to proximity to cellular towers, many factors can affect cellular reception. From what you note, your issue does sound like a cellular reception issue, though. Both your Home phone and cellular phones seem to have similar reception issues. As mentioned in your other thread, have you contacted technical support to see if there are any issues at that cellular tower?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @miakoda,

Can you try changing the cable from the box to the phone and if possible can you try a different phone and see if you can reproduce the problem.

miakoda

This is a new phone from last year, but I switched it out to my old one, and got the same thing.

Hello again @miakoda,

The next step would be trying a new cable once you know your hardware and cables are okay then I would suggest you contact tech support and they can help troubleshoot it from their end.