cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help us out with those scam calls

ibid
I'm a participant level 1

You must to do more to protect us by working with the federal government to monitor the situation and prevent harrassment from scammers. You could start by making it easier to report scam calls via the Fido app or website and acting as liaison between your users and the government's reporting system. The fed's reporting system is flawed; asking users to log in or call and be placed on hold to report harrassment can be a disincentive. You need to help making the reporting system more accessible.

3 REPLIES 3

Starscream

Look if I do a reverse phone look-up, those phone numbers were all provided by FIDO. i.e 581-777-5399...581-777-4580, 581-777-6432, etc.

Today I got 10 calls from their robo calling, all from the same type of number 581-777 XXXX

Don't tell me in 2021 you can't see which person bought the right to use all those phone numbers. I reported all of them.

The reality is you are selling those numbers and wait for the governement to do something about it, in the meantime these scammers pays Fido the monthly charge to use those numbers. Real shame, this adds up to the rediculous international charge. My contract end soon Smiley  

Hello Starscream,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned, I think everyone is rather fed up with these types of calls.

@Starscream wrote:...Don't tell me in 2021 you can't see which person bought the right to use all those phone numbers....

The reality is you are selling those numbers... in the meantime these scammers pays Fido the monthly charge to use those numbers....

I understand the calls appear to come from Fido phone numbers. However, as also mentioned previously, the calls tend to come from spoofed phone numbers. The reality is that the spammers/scammers do not own those phone numbers. It just doesn't make sense for spammers/scammers to own them. They want the potential for maximum outcome for the least amount of effort and cost. For them to actually own those phone numbers, they would need associated plans and services. The real cost for using services for those numbers would greatly outweigh any potential outcome they could receive through that scam.

More likely, the spammers/scammers will tend to spoof phone numbers within their target range to make potential victims think the calls are coming from people they might know. In this case, other Fido customers. As explained in another post, it's actually rather simple to target customers from a particular provider. All they need is to choose an area code and prefix for their chosen target and sequentially dial those numbers from 0000 to 9999. Since the calls appear to come from similar numbers, it's called Neighbour spoofing (see here). In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls, called mirroring.

@Starscream wrote:..this adds up to the rediculous international charge....

Are you currently outside of Canada? Receiving those calls while you are in Canada does not incur International charges. However, answering those calls while outside of Canada would be considered roaming and incur Fido Roam charges.

While you are certainly able to switch providers once your contract ends, you should note that no provider is immune to those types of calls. If you know people from other providers whom have not received such calls, it's likely the spammers/scammers haven't selected their particular area code and prefix combination. It does not mean that other customers from those providers have not also received these SPAM calls.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ibid,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people like yourself. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here and here). Reporting those phone numbers do not lead back to the spammers/scammers.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers