Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand Tiered plans for getting a new device

Aminoo
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

At first, it should be noted that I've newly landed in Canada and know nothing about the carrier procedures here.

Currently I'm using a BYOP plan and want to get a new device through Fido tiered plans. I found that I should change my plan to a minimum $65 plan for a 2-year contract (adding $10 to my current monthly plan) for a $420 new Samsung phone.

Now I would like to know that what happens at the end of my contract? Is the device fully paid by this 2-year contract? Should I pay any other amount at my contract end to have the phone or it will be mine?

2 REPLIES 2

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Aminoo, we'd love to help clear things up! Smiley

If you're on a BYOP plan and wish to take a phone on agreement you will have to change plan to a Small or higher plan (they range from Small to XXL). The tier you take depends on how much you'd like to pay up-front for your phone. For the full range of plans check out Fido.ca, the same applies for phones and their pricing Smiley

That said, the phone is yours to keep at all times. If you choose to terminate the agreement before the 24 months is up you'll pay off what you owe on the phone. For example, if you cancel halfway through and got a $240 credit on the phone, you'd have to pay $120.

If you stick around for the entire 2 years then the agreement ends and you owe nothing. The phone is still yours to keep Smiley In terms of the plan, it won't change. You can at that point decide if you want to change to a BYOP plan or renew your agreement with a new phone and keep your plan.

Another thing to note is that you can change plan at any time during your agreement at no cost as long as you stick to the same plan category (i.e Small).

I hope that information helps! If anything is unclear, let us know. 

Aminoo

Thank you for your fully-detailed reply! 👍