cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido timer ripoff

si
I'm a contributor level 2

I have been on Fido's $10 a month prepaid plan for many years now, I very rarely use my phone, very ,very rarely, that is why this $10 a month plan suits me, with the very rare calls having to be made, or received, 

costing me 15 cents per minute.  Just this morning, I received one of these rare calls, and I had to make one

in return. Again, it is very rare that I use my phone. So, the first call lasted exactly 59 seconds, and yet I am charged for 2 minutes. WHY??????? The second call lasted 1 minute 49 seconds, and I am charged 3 minutes.

Why???????? Why does Fido rip me off like that?

2 REPLIES 2

Diulasaint

Normally there's this stupid rule, less than 55sec count as 1min, over 55 sec round to 2mins!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Si,

I can understand it's troubling having a seemingly short call being charged as a longer length of time. However, you should note the airtime charges (plus long distance, if applicable) apply to completed or answered calls from the moment you press SEND until you press END and includes the ring time (taken from Terms & Conditions; Section 3g). On the other hand, your phone likely starts its call counter once the recipient picks up. While people have argued that the time spent ringing isn't actual call time, it is considered airtime.

In addition to ring time, there are other sources of airtime which are not considered by a phone's call counter -- post-dialling delay, answer-signal delay and call-release delay (see here). Most, if not all, calls would be via voIP and the protocols required to establish calls take time to connect calls (see here). Furthermore, multiple switches and gateways involved in setting up an international call can also add additional post-dialling delay time.

You should also note that local and long distance airtime charges are rounded up to the next full minute (T & C; 3g). For example, a 61 second call would be rounded up to two minutes. If you take into consideration ring time, the various delays, and call time, it's very possible to exceed the minute cut-off and therefore the charges are rounded up.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers