Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido SIM change

pdelosreyes
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi All

I have been with Fido since 2008 and I previously had a plan. In 2015, I transferred this over to a pay-as-you-go as I was moving to the UK with the intent of moving back to Canada. I have been using the same mobile number and topping up the same sim card since 2015 whenever I go back home to Canada and visit. I had been using an unlocked mobile phone that I have bought here in the UK which accepted my sim card which made it possible to do so. However, now it appears that my sim card which is a mini-sim card has become obselete and newer mobile phones no longer accept this. My two questions are:

1) Would there be a chance of transferring my phone number to a new physical sim that is not obselete ie. nano, micro and sim? 

2) Does anyone here know which UK network is the most compatible with Fido please? I am waiting on a verifcation text message and I still have not received this (I had previously received text messages fine in previous years)

Thank you in advance!

Patricia

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Pdelosreyes,

Welcome to the community!

Yes, you can get a new SIM for your device. Most of Fido's SIMs are now multi-SIMs, meaning that they can be used in any sized format. Once you get your new SIM, you just need to activate it on your account. Since you have a pre-paid plan, I believe you would need to contact customer support in order to activate your new SIM card.

When it comes to compatibility, what matters is which compatible bands/frequencies your device has available. The UK tend to use different bands/frequencies (see here and here). However, as long as your devices has the required bands/frequencies used in the UK, you phone should be able be used in the UK. Are you able to to use your phone otherwise? If you are, it's possible the verification code you're awaiting comes from a short code not supported within Canada. You can view the supported short codes here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers