cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Price Increase?

I'm a participant level 2

I started my service a little over a year ago with Fido. One of the main reasons was that I liked their Roam Like Home option @ $5.00 per day and billing of up to 10 days per month only. Total $50.00 per month.

With Fido's new pricing policies it is now $7.00 per day and billing up to 15 days per mont. Total $105.00 

I like many Canadians spend a good deal of my vacation time in the US and I believe an increase of 110% is unwarranted and is strickly a financial grab by the parent Rogers. 

My only alternative is to look at Telus Canada and there Canada-US package which in my case if they hold their rates would save me several hundred dollars per year.

Not a happy Fido puppy.

*** Edited title for clarity ***

31 REPLIES 31

Hello again,

As noted previously, the only options for roaming are now Fido Roam or opting out and travelling on a pay-per-use basis. There are no more Travel Packs -- not even for non-Pulse plans. There are no plans which offer any other roaming options.

Cheers

botex
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

It’s amazing how Fido managed to ruin user friendly company just in one year.

$105 + tax USA roaming / month 

$150 + tax Europe roaming / month 

😂😂😂

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd join in to clear things up a bit. Smiley

We know how important it is for all our customers to get the best deal and value out of their services. We're constantly working to make sure that you're all getting the max out of our plans.

That said, we recently expanded Fido Roam to cover all postpaid customers, not just those on Pulse plans, and added more destinations in which Fido Roam is available. In order to manage the increased cost associated with this, and increased data usage our clients use while roaming, we had to review our pricing for this great feature.

I also wanted to confirm that, yes; Fido Roam is taken in to consideration for the $100 data roaming cap. Once you hit $100, your data would be blocked and you will be asked to accept to continue using your data.

Hope this helps!

Hello FidoFilippe,

Thanks for the clarification!

@FidoPhilippe wrote:...

I also wanted to confirm that, yes; Fido Roam is taken in to consideration for the $100 data roaming cap. Once you hit $100, your data would be blocked and you will be asked to accept to continue using your data....

Since Fido Roam isn't strictly for using data, does that mean that customers will also have to accept additional charges to make/receive calls and send messages? Those uses would also trigger the daily Fido Roam fee.

Cheers

MJulieM
I'm a participant level 1

Little disgusted to see the increase in FIDO Roam in the USA up to $7/day now and up to 15 days/month!!  That is $105 for a month PLUS the cost of your current plan!!  Rip off I say.  I’ll go on suspension or cancel my plan and use a SIM card in my unlocked phone and pay 1/4 - 1/3 if that amount even in USD!!!

FidoJo1
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @MJulieM

We've moved your post, you'll see all the details about the increase in previous replies on this thread. 

That said, we definitively don't want to see you go. You've the option to opt-out from Fido Roam if you would like and go with Pay-Per-Use.

If you have any further questions, you can contact our customer service Smiley 

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @3699

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

Thanks for the feedback! We always work to make sure our prices remain competitive and to offer you options to keep your cost low while travelling abroad. We know you guys love the service and many of our customers are using more data than ever while travelling. The price increase will help balance the increased costs associated with offering the service. 

We still offer many great perks with our plans such as Data Bytes giving you unlimited data for 1 hour 5 times per month. 

Hope that helps! 

Thank you for your reply and your explanation.

My dispute is that your account charges have gone up 110% on the Roam Like Home package in less than 1 year. Your costs could not have more than doubled in that period of time. It is now greatly more cost effective to purchase a US sim card, especially for customers with longer times in the US.

By the way, I believe the Data Bytes is not available to use when you are in the US. 

I know nothing will come of this complaint and that they will not walk back the price increases but as least I am making my disatisfaction known. 

I guess I am the whinny puppy in the Fido crowd...but thanks for a least listening.

Hello 3699,

Welcome to the community!

@@369 wrote:...

By the way, I believe the Data Bytes is not available to use when you are in the US....

Just to clarify, Data Bytes was not intended for use while roaming.

Data Bytes.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

bitex

Is'nt this illegal? According to CRTC, the maximum roaming that you can charge is $100 per month. 

I travel often to Europe and this is almost doubling the cost. 

Do you pay a bill after you use your wireless service? If so, you have the right:

to limit your data overage charges to $50 a month and your data roaming charges to $100 a month for your entire account, regardless of the number of devices or users associated with the account. 

Hello Bitex,

Welcome to the community!

@bitex wrote:

Is'nt this illegal? According to CRTC, the maximum roaming that you can charge is $100 per month. 

I don't think that is quite true. The Wireless code states, a service provider must suspend national and international data roaming charges once they reach $100 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the account holder or authorized user expressly consents to pay additional charges.

The Wireless code specifies the cap is on roaming data charges and not merely roaming charges. There is no mention of any cap for call or messaging charges. The charges for Fido Roam are for using all services while outside of Canada. 

I'm sure the legal departments of the mobile providers have gone over the specifics of these roaming offerings -- Bell & Telus also have similar Roam services to Fido/Rogers.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers