cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Plan

CB12
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello. I was in the United States on Nov 4th, and turned my data on to use roam like home that day for $7. On Nov 5th, I did not turn my data on, but I sent 2 text messages, which should have cost $1.50. Instead, I was charged another $7 even though I did not turn on my data that day. Can anyone explain?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello CB12,

Welcome to the community!

Currently, unless you opt out, Fido Roam is the only means of using your services outside of Canada for postpaid customers.  Any use of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- will trigger the Fido Roam charge (see here). Sending those two text messages would have triggered the second charge.

Receiving SMS does not trigger the Fido Roam charges. However, you should note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily charge.

In addition, rejecting an incoming call should no longer trigger the Fido Roam charge either (see here).

If you opt out of Fido Roam, you would then use your services on a pay-per-use basis (see here for rates).

You should also note that disabling roaming data does not prevent a phone from voice or messaging roaming. Disabling roaming data only disables data usage when on foreign network. Newer phones will automatically roam on foreign networks. To prevent your phones from roaming, you would need to enable Airplane or Flight mode and then manually enable Wifi if required.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers