cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Text out of cell coverage

Stick
I'm a participant level 2

I am out of cell coverage, which is why I want to install extreme.  Extreme cannot be accessed to set it up because I'm not on the rogers/fido network so I can't be authenticated. What's the workaround?

** Edited to add labels **

3 REPLIES 3

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Stick

Welcome to the Community! 

You need to be on the Fido network in order to set up Extreme Text Messaging.

Depending on your plan, you may have access to our Extended Coverage service though. This will allow you to use your Fido phone in Canada outside of the Fido coverage area. Check this out here for details on the Extended Coverage.

Hope that helps! Very_Happy 

Stick

I'm a fido customer, but I'm in an area without ANY cellular coverage (no cell towers, no siganls of any kind).  I'm working out here for the next few months which is why I need to setup non-cellular access to my texts.  Surely there is a way to verify my existence in light of a lack of infrastructure. 

Hello Stick,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a workaround to set up Extreme Text Messaging when you're not connected to the network.

If I'm not mistaken, the messaging component (SMS and MMS data) of the network is separate from the data component (other internet usage, access to My Account, etc) and cannot be accessed by Wifi. The reasoning is similar to why the data portion of MMS cannot be uploaded/downloaded via Wifi and must be sent/received using the network with data enabled. It is also the reason why the data within MMS does not count against any data allotments.

It's not about verifying you or your account. Setting up Extreme Text Messaging needs access to the messaging component of the network which is not reachable unless you're connected to the network.

If you can get away to an area of cellular coverage, you can set it up at that time. Otherwise, I do not think it's possible.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers