Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Charges - Makes me feel very bad for returning to Fido

kothamanish
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I have an issue with Fido bill. My most recent bill has changed me an amount of $288 instead of $135 which is expected. 

I have talked with Fido customer service and Manager 'Juan'. He can't do anything in reducing the charge. 

Reason?: Fido charges in disguise.

I went to India in March and I called from there with Fido number and they charged me $45 extra and they said I have made call on three different days and I am on roaming. I informed that I never knew that and it's first time. They reduced $15 and paid other $30. 

Now in November: There is an extra $150 charge on my bill for picking Receiving calls! I used my phone with two sims. For most of days I picked call as it is from unknown number and it can be either Canada or India and it's majority of them were fake calls. I barely talked for 10 secs. They don't want to reduce the price at all.

How come you can charge for Receiving calls too??  The message you send to mobile is completely unclear. Whether you will be charging for Incoming call or Outgoing call?!! You didn't tell that last time too! 

What my request is you should give me $135 off as I did not even call anyone. I searched in google for Fido CEO or Finance Head etc., I can't even see the names to tag in Twitter. Could you please let me know who they are? 

This surprsise charges are not the first time. I don't know how many thousands are charged like this.

Please help.Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

kothamanish

@Cawtau Thanks for Replying. In the example you have sent you can see how cunningly they have put 'Talk/Text like you do at home' innstead of saying Incoming/Outgoing call which many people might not put much attention to.This is to make everyone pay atleast once. Once can be any number. Someone might get charged even $900 at end of the month! Extra cunning income from clients who stayed with them like me.

And we don't know where Point 'g' you have mentioned is in the book. People see what are the best services offered by Provider but not 50 loopholes in it. And Fido is taking advantage of it.

And last time when they talked about this this issue, they only talked about me calling others. They never mentioned others calling me. If one is not subscribed to that plan why would @Fido even allow incoming/receiving calls. They should stop the service itself when we are in another country and not give shocks at end of the month bill. Everyone has commitments at the end of the month. We don't want to lose money unnecesssarily. Isn't it?

I am hoping some higher official from Fido can give me reduction in bill for this as normal customer service or Manager 'Juan' were unable to help. 

Hello again,

I don't think they are trying to be cunning. As previously mentioned, all calls (incoming and outgoing) are considered airtime whether you are in Canada or abroad. They are not trying to hide some different roaming usage rules. It is the same as in Canada.

With regards to Fido Roam, most eligible plans have the feature already enabled. If you wish to opt-out of the service, you would need to request to have it removed. However, you should note that if you choose to do so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the pay-per-use rates here.

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is generally recommended to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your time away. You can then manually enable Wifi when required. It should also be noted that if your phone and plan are supported for Wifi-calling, some usage abroad is considered roaming and would incur roaming fees.

That section 3g is from Fido's Term of Service (see link provided in my previous reply). You should have been provided with a copy when you first got your services.  If you choose to use a service, you should make yourself aware of the Terms of Service and Fido Roam . The 'I was never told' excuse can only be used so many times. Ultimately, it is the customers' responsibility to familiarise themselves with the terms of any service they choose to use.

Unfortunately, if the charges are already on your bill, I don't think there is much that can be done. You should note that this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. As such, we would not have access to customers' accounts. If you would like discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kothamanish

Thanks for explaining. 

I understood that they don't have any empathy for clients whatsoever. I will soon be moving to some other service like Freedom, where they never charge something like this but still have good offers. Their network is not as strong as Fido but atleast I won't get charged like this. I know that Fido won't care about people moving out like me as they always have a 'plan' how to retrieve the lost money.

I think Fido should stop giving post paid services to avoid this kind of issue with others.

Hey @kothamanish,

We definitely do not want to see you go. We'll be happy to take another look at your account with you.

There are several ways to reach customer service:

- On the phone (by dialing 611 from your Fido device), you will have a call back option instead of waiting on the line

- Via live chat on Fido.ca

- By writing us a private message on our social networks (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram).

Hope to talk to you soon. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kothamanish,

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected charges on your bill. To clarify, are you currently outside of Canada?

@kothamanish wrote:

..How come you can charge for Receiving calls too??  The message you send to mobile is completely unclear. Whether you will be charging for Incoming call or Outgoing call?!! You didn't tell that last time too!...

To which message are you referring? Is it the Welcome Abroad Message? If yes, it states that you can use your plan's existing data, talk and text like you do at home (for example, see here).

If your plan includes unlimited Canada-wide calling (airtime), you might not have realised that both incoming and outgoing calls are considered airtime. However, most North American providers consider both incoming and outgoing calls as airtime. Fido is no different:

Airtime.jpg

~taken from Terms of Service; section 3g

Since both incoming and outgoing calls count as airtime while on the Fido network, it will be counted the as the same when roaming as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers