cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fido charge for roaming even when doesn't connect mobile data?

Berurike
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Fido roaming said 

"Roaming applies any time you go off the Fido network and are using your phone while connected to a partner wireless carrier."

so If I go abroad, will there be a roaming charge if I just keep phone signal for receiving SMS without mobile data or phone calls?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Berurike,

Welcome to the community!

While that statement is true, it doesn't necessarily relate to incurring roaming charges. For example, using other Canadian providers' networks is technically roaming, however, that usage is considered extended coverage (Fido-EXT). Access to extended coverage on a temporary basis is a part of their roaming agreements and does not incur additional charges.

On the other hand, the Fido Roam charge will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad. (see here). While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

What phone do you have? You should note that some phones might consider certain system data differently from user data and continue to allow the former usage despite data and roaming data settings disabled. To ensure unintended data usage, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight modes for the duration of your trip. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand those modes would also prevent receiving SMS, however, you would need to know how your phone behaves in order to prevent unintentional data usage.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers