Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounts disappeared when upgrading device but keeping same plan

unitmonster
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, 

I just upgraded to the Pixel 7 using the offer that is currently on. Before completing the order I checked with a Fido chat representative as to whether upgrading the device would cause me to lose any of the discounts I currently have on my monthly plan (-$5 month for automatic payment, -$10 month mobile plan credit). I was told that these would be retained if i upgraded my device and kept the same plan. 

Having now gone throuhg the purchase process, the price of my monthly plan rose from $35.46/month after tax to over $51/month after tax. I understand that some percentage of that is the monthly tax on the new phone, but I seem to have lost all of the discounts that my contract had. I've searched in this forum and found other messages from Fido reps saying that discounts will not be lost if you upgrade your phone and keep your current plan.

How can i get this addressed?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Unitmonster,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that this is the community forum and not intended as a venue for customer services. We don't have access to customers' accounts so we would not be able to verify the details of your promotions . Without knowing the particulars of your Payment Program agreement and plan, we would not be able to offer a definitive explanation.

That said, you appear to note both a discount and credit. Unfortunately, I cannot speak with regards to the automatic payment discount.

To me, it sounds like you may have received some bill credits as a part of a promotion when you financed your phone. Many of Fido device offers were after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remained the same but customers were getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone. Since the credits were applied to the bill, that could account for your monthly fees only being reduced.

So the bill credit indirectly contributed to the balance of the phone. As long as you remained with the contract, the cost of the phone would be offset by the bill credit. However, if you end the contract prematurely (ie enter new agreement), you would be required to pay the balance of the device plus taxes. It would be important to note that the remaining bill credits would no longer apply so the remaining balance would be ($40 + bill credit) x remaining months.

On the other hand, if you kept your contract to completion, your phone would be paid off. You would no longer have a monthly financing cost. You would also no longer receive that bill credit.

As mentioned, if you purchased a new device, you would no longer receive the bill credit for your old phone. Whether you receive any credits on your account with the new agreement would depend on the current Fido offer on the Pixel 7.

If you wish to discuss your situation and options, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers