cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plan has slower connection speed??

cdaidai
I'm a participant level 3

Just signed up 3GB Data only plan, hower it only connects as H+ instead of 4G.(while my main line connect as 4G with no problem)   As I ran speed test(by Ookla), my main line(talk + data) had 19.2Mbps dl / 4.33Mbps ul, while data only line can only do 5.62Mbps dl / 3.18Mps ul.  I ran test several times and the speed just don't match up.  (ran test seperately by changing sim card, as my phone doesn't support dual 4G)

I checked APN and both setting are the same, so don't think it's a setup issue. 

Anyone else have similar problem?

Area: Richmond BC

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Cdaidai,

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like you have a dual-SIM phone. What phone are you using? Just to clarify, when you said you ran the test separately by changing the SIM card, did you mean you tested the two SIM cards in the same SIM slot? Or did you test them separately by alternating which SIM is active?

I understand you noted your phone doesn't support dual 4G, but did you mean only one SIM-slot supports 4G or only one slot at at time supports 4G? If you're familiar with dual-SIM phones, most of them are dual-standby. Is your phone also a dual-standby? If it is, are you aware that only one SIM-slot can be used for data at a time? The stand-by slot would be voice and/or SMS only.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cdaidai

Thanks for the response.

I am using Nokia 8.. and yes I am aware only one slot can perform in 4G speed(if put two sim in)..  so when I test them, I put in one at a time, in the same slot..  that is why I am confused/frustrated..  I am expecting same service from both sim card...Crying

Hello again,

Thank you for the clarification. The data only SIM should also be able to access the LTE network. Are you able to test the SIM in a different device? It's possible there is an issue with that particular SIM and switching the SIM might help. Alternatively, there could be something that was not provisioned properly in the account for that SIM. You might consider contacting customer service to verify the account settings are properly configured for that SIM. You could also send a PM to @FidoSolutions. Once they verify some details, they'll also be able to access your accounts.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cdaidai

Thank you Cawtau

I'll contact support for this..

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi

my guesses are as follows: there are different reasons for this

1. the data is bottleneck is different bitrates/compression rates for 'voice/data service' compared to 'data only service'

2. sim cards may have different setups.

cdaidai

Thanks for the input.

if these are the reason, fido should mention them, as I am expecting same quality of service..  Angry