cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contstant Data Overage Charges

Koncern101
I'm a participant level 3

Do you think phone companies cares about me whining to stop data services when the 2G that I have on my kid's data plan is exceeded?  They rather happily charge me more rather than cut off service until the next monthly perod,... claming safety reason. I say cash grab... the rest of the phone works for calling, texrting, wireless... What I'm I missing?

9 REPLIES 9

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
@Koncern101 wrote:

Do you think phone companies cares about me whining to stop data services when the 2G that I have on my kid's data plan is exceeded?  They rather happily charge me more rather than cut off service until the next monthly perod,... claming safety reason. I say cash grab... the rest of the phone works for calling, texrting, wireless... What I'm I missing?

You are missing one simple thing: Parent Responsibility.

It's not the phone company's responsiblity to teach your kids how to use the phone responsibility. The is the account holder's responsibility (i.e. yourself). Don't push the blame onto phone companies when you are unable to teach your kids the responsible use of technology. 

Next thing I see is you complaining to FIdo about not putting an app to prevent your kids from distracted walking / driving.

Koncern101

Wow! Some people have such a extreme view of the world.

I Was not whining, I know I'm a pretty responsible parent but unfortunately I cannot control everything and everybody.

Lot of pressure on kids now a days with social media,  streaming, or on-line music to be in the "Now".

No need to go on further I see where you're heading.

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@Koncern101 wrote:

Wow! Some people have such a extreme view of the world.

I Was not whining, I know I'm a pretty responsible parent but unfortunately I cannot control everything and everybody.

Lot of pressure on kids now a days with social media,  streaming, or on-line music to be in the "Now".

No need to go on further I see where you're heading.

Some people live in reality where he or she takes responbility. Some just pass blame others for everything that happens and not take any responsibility.  Just look at what you post and you can take which side you are on. 

Responsible parent who has no control of their kids and then blame the cell phone service provider for charging them. It's like blaming the judge for handing down a harsh sentence just because one is unable to drink responsibility (lots of pressure).

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hey Koncern101 I have a young teen and can easily relate. It may be mesmerized to understand parenting days when you're 20 lol

you're doing awesome let it slide bud.

Peace out V

Koncern101
  • Yes, thanks moving on!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Koncern101,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand it's frustrating receiving data overage charges. However, rather than blaming the mobile providers for not blocking data once their allotment has been reached, how about we teach our kids to use data more responsibly? That might mean having them monitor their own data usage and connecting to Wifi whenever possible, or downloading content while connected to Wifi, etc...

We all try to make sure our kids turn off the lights when they leave a room or turn off the television (or other equipment) when they're not using it. We also try to ensure they take reasonable length showers (ie not 45 mins). Data usage should be no different. Some might argue that we should be limiting cellular phone or mobile device usage altogether, but that's a different story.

We should all be responsible for the data we use. That includes our kids as well. If they're old enough to use data, they're old enough to be responsible for its use. I'm not saying they should be held legally accountable for overage usage, but they should be able to monitor their own usage.

Just a thought... Smiley

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Koncern101. I understand your situation and have a solution for that.

Assuming your teen has an Android phone here is the procedure:

go in  phone settings. 

Use Tabview

click the tab Network

click mobile data 

Drag the warning tab and the maximum usage data to your needs. 

Here is the screen where to set it upScreenshot_2018-01-25-19-09-07.png

I hope it helps you psst!  There's more you can restricted apps access to data.

Cheers!

Koncern101

Thanks Scooby-Doo for the constructive feedback, but my child has an iphone with a similar app. 

Cheers! 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

You're very welcome Koncern101!:smileyhappy

Setting data limits info for iPhone from a thread in this forum Here

Cheers!