cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Voice Department

Clare2904
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

After a brief lull in calls I received another one this morning.  Unlike the other times I decided to call back the number and it was an actual person  on the other end.

In the last I have just blocked the number but what should I do here?  Has the other person been hacked?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Clare2904,

Welcome to the community!

It's unlikely the other person was hacked. It's more likely the spammers/scammers used spoofed phone numbers to make the call to you.

Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The providers have implemented Universal Call Block which only blocks calls from malformed phone numbers. That could account for the temporary lull in SPAM calls. However, if the phone numbers are properly formed, they would still get through.

Hopefully, the new protocol STIR/SHAKEN will help prevent nuisance calls from spoofed numbers. However, that system is not yet fully implemented.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers