cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for local incoming call

Shayak
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am a new subscriber to Fido and just received my bill. I am shocked to see that I am being billed for an extra $500 above the agreed monthly plan. These charges are for both local canada incoming calls and outgoing calls.

Does this incoming calls charges not amount to double billing as the person making the call would have been billed from their end.

Is this the normal trend with Fido?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Shayak,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you received that awful surprise on your bill. However, you should note that most North American mobile providers charge airtime for both incoming and outgoing calls. This implementation is different from some other countries (ie Ireland) where incoming calls are not charged airtime. You should also note that the Canada-wide minutes are a bit of a misnomer. They should more accurately be considered as Minutes (or Airtime) with Canadian long-distance (LD) included. That is, the Canada-wide minutes are not strictly for use within Canada. Any calls made to destinations outside of Canada would be charged long-distance in addition to airtime minutes.

Local and long distance airtime charges are rounded up to the next full minute. A one-minute minimum charge applies to every completed call (made or received). The airtime for the entire call is charged based on the applicable rate at the beginning of the call. Airtime charges (plus long distance, if applicable) apply to completed or answered calls from the moment you press SEND until you press END and includes the ring time. For international calls or while roaming, you may be charged regardless of whether the call is completed. ~ taken from 3g of Terms & Conditions.

I can understand why you might think that the call might be considered double-billed, however, both parties are charged for airtime usage on their respective providers. In the case the other party is calling from a landline, it's likely they won't be charged for the call (unless long-distance) because there is no airtime on their end.

If you have a plan which has limited minutes, additional minutes are 50¢ per minute (see #3 in Full Details). You should also note that most plans with limited minutes include unlimited evenings and weekends from 5pm. Calls made and received during those times would not count against your allotment of airtime minutes.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Shayak,

Welcome to the community!

That is a lot to pay for local calls, the plan that you currently have if it's not unlimited calling then you will be billed per minute after you used up your allotted monthly minutes. 

It's not double billing because it's two separate lines and every line is billed according to the plan they have.

If you do not have unlimited minutes and find yourself making a lot of calls I wold suggest upgrading to unlimited minutes as it would be way cheaper than paying overage fees.