cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for fantom data usage.... did not use July 2020

gfcollins1
I'm a participant level 2

I recieved a text saying I was over my data limit, "after" I was over my data limit, so that did not help me. 

It's like 6 gb of data was used in 5 seconds. I have my phone set so It will stop data 2 gb below limit.

(although I have NEVER in 12 yrs with fido used more than 3GB of my 8gb limit). My bill showed I used 8.2 GB my phone shows only 2.5 gb explains why it didn't stop.. NOW here is where it gets funny my bill shows a double line of usage for the day in question. when i deduct the second line of usage from my total it comes to 2.5 gb like my phone shows. I was in the middle lake Erie the day in question, took a few photos no phone calls, nothing.

( photos will not upload unless in wifi, double checked that immediately ) I have all my settings to manual download updates. nothing without my authorization. This  fantom data usage seems to be an issue with lots of peope on This forum...yet there is never an admission that FIDO is the problem.

3 REPLIES 3

FidoKenny

Hello @gfcollins1

To be honest, I'm not familiar with that term * fantom data usage *

Let me just ask you a few questions to better understand what's going on.

What phone model are you using right now?

Did you have a chance to talk with our customer service to go over your usage?

gfcollins1

SO as usual I spent twenty minutes answering your response. both disapeared. just like your  customer service people.

"Fantom DATA" is data that Fido says I used July 20th 6GB - 3, at 12:30. 3 at 6:30pm. My phone shows very little actual data used that day. or for the whole month. My phone shows I used 2.55 GB of data the whole month. 3 GB is actually way more than i have used /month in about 6 years. I have been a faithfull customer for more than 15 years. below is what I could have done with 6GB. I did non of that. I was sitting at my friends trailer virtually doing nothing. I may have looked at my phone maybe sent  a text. so I had a $30  over charge. There was a new temperary Bell cell tower on a trailer about 5oo mtrs away. I was told the 6gb was during roaming. I assume it was through that cell tower. when i subtract the 6.5Gb overcharge from the actual data used it comes out to 2.55 GB just like my phone says.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YKWPEqfXCxmFq5B8  

Activity 6GB data is equal to...

Accessing web pages3,600 web pages (approx 72 hours browsing)
Basic e-mail/instant message2,100,000 messages
Rich e-mail/IM (with attachments)12,000 messages
Downloading or streaming music1,200 songs
Downloading or streaming video (SD)12 hours
Downloading or streaming video (HD)3 hours
Skype voice call180 hours
Skype video call24 hours
Listening to online radio96 hours
Downloading or updating apps150 apps

@gfcollins1

The best way to monitor your usage is from your Fido App or your online account on Fido.ca

We have blog on the Community that let you know the best way to stay on top of your data usage here

If you have further questions about your account, you can find all the ways to reach us here.

If it's best for you, we can also send you a PM here on the Community.

Let us know.