cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Data only plan receives SMS?

TeddyDragonfly
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm using a DATA ONLY PLAN 10$ for 4G with a Samsung Tablet since Dec 2019, and note that I cannot receive any incoming SMS with the SIM no matter with the device or a fido phone.

I call FIDO this afternoon, the CSR told me it is only for DATA no SMS included. BUT after reading this community, I HAVE A BIG QUESTION and would like to check it out if the answer i got is in-correct or the posts here are already outdated?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello TeddyDragonfly,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, that plan is Fido's Tablet plan. It is often referred to in these forums as the data-only plan. For a long time, that plan used to be the only plan which did not include Talk or Text. However, Fido now offers other data-only plans (ie no Talk included) (see here). Text messaging would be available on those plans

Before Fido offered their new data-only (technically Data & Text) options, the Tablet plan was capable of voice and text messaging on a pay per use basis. However, that plan was intended for use on tablets so that functioning was removed (see here). The plans do technically include unlimited incoming SMS to prevent incoming SMS from being charged. However, it appears as though only alert SMS (ie data overage notification) will work. Regular text messages will not be received (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers