Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHANGE FIDO SERVICE TO OTHER COMPANY SERVICE

aero19
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I have been using Fido for 2 years. They have charged me with roaming charges even I informed them by calling customer care and by email that I am travelling and I will not use Fido services.

Secondly, I am paying for my services for the last 5 months even I am not using them because I am outside Canada. All other telecom companies (for example Rogers) have this suspending of service for a certain time but Fido customer service said we can not help you in such a case.

I want to know what is the procedure for changing the service from Fido to another company.

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Aero19,

Fido does offer a temporary suspension for a reduced fee on eligible lines. From the information provided in your other post, you appear to have been under contract with a subsidised plan. Unfortunately, subsidised plan contracts are not eligible for the temporary suspension as the cost of phones is incorporated into the plan cost. If you had a financed payment program plan, you should note that the temporary suspension would have only applied to your services. You would have still needed to pay the monthly costs for financing the device. As far as I am aware, all of the other telecom companies also have eligibility requirements in order to temporarily suspend services.

If you do not wish to use your services while outside of Canada, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode on your phone. You might also consider disabling data. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. If your phone is supported for Wifi-calling, you should note that some Wifi-calling usage would be considered roaming.

To be clear, it would have been unlikely that you would be eligible to have had your services temporarily suspended with any of the mobile providers given you were still paying for a device. You could have paid the balance of your device and then be eligible for a temporary suspension. If your device has now been paid-off, you would be eligible for the temporary suspension.

Unfortunately, there is no way to add the temporary suspension online. If you're eligible for the temporary suspension, you would need to contact customer service to have it set up. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

In order to port your phone number to another network, you would need to contact your new provider and they would have to request the phone number port from Fido on your behalf (see here). Once your number has been successfully ported over, your Fido line would be cancelled automatically. You will receive a final bill once your line has been cancelled. If you are still subsidising your device, you will be required to pay the balance of that device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers